E3 Rear Windshield Trim

Fredomatic

Reaction score
Like many others, I have been searching in vain for windshield seals for my 1970 2500. In order to get back on the road, I have elected to reinstall the Rear windshield with the later seal. I assume the metal window trim must be applied to get the proper seal, otherwise the gasket will be loose, right?

That said, I am looking to source the trim for the later (74 or newer) Rear window. Please let me know if you or anyone you know has these pieces to sell.

Thanks!
Frederick

Fredomatic

Reaction score
The rear seal arrived today! We laid it over the 2500 and you can see from the picture that it's much wider at the bottom but looks to fit around the top and sides. Given the dearth of options, I have to make this work. The current plan is to remove the extra seal from the center then re-seal it together. I'm not sure what sealant to use yet but I'm on the hunt. Interestingly, the original trim looks to fit the groove fine. I'm optimistic that the corners will line up.

Late Model Rear Window Seal.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The dimensions of the perimeter of both seals are the same as the glass didn’t change. Are you sure that isn’t a front seal?

Fredomatic

Reaction score
Good eye! That was my thought too. I double checked with Maxi this morning and they confirmed that they sent the wrong seal. Oof Da! Paul was apologetic and ordered a new one right away.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are they making you send that back? Front seals are rare and you should hold onto it

Fredomatic

Reaction score
True. It's for the later model but might be needed in the future. Now it I can only find a room in the garage to store it...

Beemer70

Reaction score
Am still looking for this E3 rear window rubber seal - probably can fit a seal from a later car but most likely the chrome wont fit :(

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There's a thread on a facebook group where a guy in U.K. was looking to get some reproduced. He was quoted 350 pounds each with no further discussion.
It's looking to me like we'll need to:
A. Find someone hoarding a rear seal in the U.S.
B. Find a place that can replicate said seal

My preference would be to replicate 51311800471.