Turkis on BAT

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Love the car. My advice to the owner before listing was to pay $500 - $1,000 and get a pro / semi-pro photo shoot. He has some pics from the Petrolicous article but he went with smart phone pics in the driveway for the rest. Even so, the color is garnering so much positive attention.

In my opinion, they key to a successful BaT auction is to generate lust, which in turn fosters impulsive buying habits. I obviously don’t have the data to back it up, but for certain cars in certain colors, I would seriously put a $10K+ ROI on a pro photo shoot.

I referenced this ugly duckling turned swan:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-bmw-2000cs-7/

My private guess on the Riviera highwater a was low by $20K. I put a premium on the rarity of the color that I don’t think panned our. I also think that the pictures didn’t showcase the car well at all. Since Turkis is metallic, you can put little into the photography and still have them look ok.

Totally agree on the photos. I have met the seller of this Tatra, Pat, and this car did very well after he paid a pro some good money to photograph. By no means is it a perfect car, but it oozed charm in the pix.
The guys at 911r (sellers of the 2000cs) always have fantastic pictures, and they have done very well over time on BaT.
Tatra pix below:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1950-tatra-t87/

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
A picture is worth a 1,000 words right? You illustrated my point perfectly, and your buddy is “doin’ it right”. If you look at the commentary from 911r you will see lots of mention that their photos are always top-knotch.

Totally agree on the photos. I have met the seller of this Tatra, Pat, and this car did very well after he paid a pro some good money to photograph. By no means is it a perfect car, but it oozed charm in the pix.
The guys at 911r (sellers of the 2000cs) always have fantastic pictures, and they have done very well over time on BaT.
Tatra pix below:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1950-tatra-t87/

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been telling friends to put down their iPads and phones and get real photos taken for their forsale ads. Go to any Cars'n'coffee-type event and there will be dozens of "kids" with expensive cameras, websites and/or business cards. Many of them are looking for subjects that will give their work a higher level of legitimacy (ie: not just a portfolio filled with pictures of their friends' stanced and winged Hondas and Subarus). Also, the local Facebook CnC groups usually have posts where photographers are looking for interesting cars to shoot. A friend sold his 911 on BaT using photos from one of these guys - he got the processed photos for free and the photographer got the bragging rights that his watermarked photos were on a website with lots of international traffic.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Strong money IMHO. Color must have helped. About the most feminine color you can get on an e9.

seller made out well.

BBOY

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it is very good money for the seller, with broken tool box/ canadian tire battery/weak driver side wood/ big chip on the c-pillar(what about the other side)/ door seal/paint chips and a few more. I expected a lot more for a 80,000 car included commision. I think the color sells but it's not my cup of tea.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good money for a coupe in which there is no documentation of the condition of the body underneath the front fenders. This keeps happening on BaT. You need to see pix of either the fenders off and proper restoration or borecope video with the fenders on. Video can even be taken with just your phone, if your phone and hands are small enough. I was able to video the virginal inner fenders of bfengs dry West Texas coupe last fall in Mass. and it looked great. The same day I visited a high end used vintage car dealer in the Boston suburbs and drove and inspected a lovely csi. Trouble was that the area up under the front fenders had enough rust that it needed remediation. And I could see it all with a video from my iPhone. The car was around 70k and it sold soon after. Ouch.
I hope the buyer of thus Turkis car makes out ok and the rust situation is not that bad.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those cracks at the top of the struts will be an interesting story. Looks like it could be buttah.
Never seen a crack in sheet metal at that place.
Note the rubber trim covering up the fender seam on both sides of the engine bay.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I looked at this car back in 2003 or so (before I bought Tony's). Actually, this one was the first Coupe I looked at.
A good friend and I went over to see it. The PO (in Abbotsford, BC - by the way) was a nice enough fella but was IMO a bit too proud of the car and its condition for what he wanted for it. I recall $18k US back then - and it needed a fair bit of work to make it what I would want to have.

Considering I paid about half that amount for the car I did end up getting (and didn't have to deal with the importation hassles) - I think I did ok. That is the car that is at SFDon's now.

Back to the Turkis one. THAT color is awesome. It was when I saw it originally. And Adam (the fella who bought it after I looked at it) has had it at a few events up here, so I've seen it since. That color has only grown more awesome since. :)

The one thing I did not know at the time (and who knows if it is true) - but supposedly this is the only Coupe in this color imported to North America (US or Canada) by BMW.
Just on that - this car is unique...

From there - I hope the buyer keeps in touch with this group.

Oh- One more thing...
If you are going to be looking at an old BMW and want to keep the seller from hovering around you while you look at his car - Bring along a friend who has an even more interesting car than the one being sold.
When I went to look at the Turkis car, I met a friend in Vancouver and we took my friends car over to Abbotsford to see the coupe. My friend has an M1. :) Kept the seller very occupied for a good hour or so. :)

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I looked at this car back in 2003 or so (before I bought Tony's). Actually, this one was the first Coupe I looked at.
A good friend and I went over to see it. The PO (in Abbotsford, BC - by the way) was a nice enough fella but was IMO a bit too proud of the car and its condition for what he wanted for it. I recall $18k US back then - and it needed a fair bit of work to make it what I would want to have.
:)

Same condition now? Or has it been refreshed since 2003?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the first coupe i saw in Louisiana as a kid was turkis. never saw it a second time ... i was riding my bike home from school and saw it parked.