Are these Euro bumpers?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E9-3-0...5cAAOSwGVFcBHlB:rk:30:pf:0&LH_ItemCondition=4

Or are they '73-only? Can't tell from the brackets.

I would think CSi (claimed they were off of) bumpers would be euro/72 and earlier bumpers, but seems like those brackets on the LEFT side (?!@?!@?) appear to be 73-usa-only versions that stick out more??? Whereas the RIGHT side is the euro/early style???

s-l1600.jpg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the RIGHT side of a 73-USA bumper has no bracket that sticks out like the LEFT side. Odd.

Clipboard01.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Only NA market coupes got the hoop mounted bumpers in 73, never on any rest of world coupes including CSis. The right one might indeed be an earlier bumper, can’t really tell. What would bother me is the peeling chrome, on the inside of the left hand bumper.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Real OEM suggests the 1973 USA bumper halves have different part numbers than the 1972 and earlier (and Euro)bumpers. Aren’t the bumpers physically different in terms of how far out the internal mount brackets extend (shorter on the 73’s to make space for the 73-only hoop). All the earlier bumpers have two mount holes per side and the 73’s one have one mount hole for the spacer hoop. You could probably modify a 73 to fit up flush with the body or a pre-73 to fit into the space bracket but it seems so much easier to just buy a matching pre-73 bumper To begin with.

I would not sssume you can mix and match

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I may have some input on the differences as I may have backed myself into a potential need to marry a '73 bumper half to a '72/Euro.?. If so, I will document what I learn/do. Related to this, anyone have a good pic of a pre-73 rear bracket? How do they attach to the car? Or is there no separate bracket - just car to bumper direct?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I may have some input on the differences as I may have backed myself into a potential need to marry a '73 bumper half to a '72/Euro.?. If so, I will document what I learn/do. Related to this, anyone have a good pic of a pre-73 rear bracket? How do they attach to the car? Or is there no separate bracket - just car to bumper direct?

There really is no pre-73 bracket. There is a pre-73 bumper. The bracket is welded to the bumper. You could cut it out etc, but welding it back in would damage the chrome on your good bumper. As @bfeng mentioned you might as well just use the ‘73 bumper. You can tuck a ‘73 bumper by making a block that is stubbier than the original hoop. Just know that the pre-72 bracket isn’t straight. It is angled to fit the curvature of the e9 tail end.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That answered my question. The '73 bumper has a bracket, too - which receives the hoop. But it is tucked in pretty tight to the apex of the bumper profile. I am assuming that the pre-73 integral bumper bracket is proud of the bumper (and curved as you've noted). Still, any pics of this pre-73 integral bracket?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That answered my question. The '73 bumper has a bracket, too - which receives the hoop. But it is tucked in pretty tight to the apex of the bumper profile. I am assuming that the pre-73 integral bumper bracket is proud of the bumper (and curved as you've noted). Still, any pics of this pre-73 integral bracket?

@Bmachine snapped a few pictures here:
https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/bumper-repair-question.23074/

My rear bumper is still sitting on the hood of my car if you want any pics ore measurements. One thing you can do is measure the distance from the crest of the bumper to the mating face of the bracket (on both sides). That will tell you how the bracket is angled, and how thick your new spacer needs to be. If you happen to own a band saw you could very easily mock these up out of wood. Take note of the pics. The bumper bolts go in from the trunk, and thread into the bracket.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos,
As far as having a bumper where the welded in nuts are gone (referencing that old post from Bmachine), it suddenly occurred to me that a corrosion resistant large RivNut (nutsert) would probably work and would be easy to install with a kludged install tool (a bolt, a close fitting spacer tube and an impact wrench).

John