Anticipation...

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm looking to have them order in the under-engine tray and mount it (I don't have access to a lift at home, and I think I can have them "throw in" the labor at least).
Is it worth the effort/expense?

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Attachments

• 9E1E999D-F344-419D-A6CE-BA37B1FF4D5B.jpeg
    9E1E999D-F344-419D-A6CE-BA37B1FF4D5B.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So.... first drive impressions:
Stunning car; photos don't do it justice (at least not my pocket camera).
Very "torque-y" , I think all of the horses are there! Cold start was good, revs don't go as high on cold start as my MBZ, but idle was good, and after a km warm-up, engine idled smoothly.
Lots of power, good torque, even at low RPMs. Engine is newly rebuilt, so I did not push it above 3500 (much ;)).
Very responsive on acceleration, no hesitation. SS exhaust has a great note and nice gentle burble on deceleration (at least at low speeds where I can hear it).
Car has all-new stock suspension set-up, handles well, although it had a slight drift to the right, even though it was just aligned. They had not checked tire pressure, so tomorrow morning they will pull and balance tires and check pressure.

It was a beautiful, sunny day today and I was getting great pleasure out of the drive! :)

Gee-eez, I can't believe I'm driving my own E9!:D

I have the morning tomorrow to take it for an extended drive.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Had a chance to romp it around more today. Very responsive, no hesitation, lots of power. Correcting the air pressure did the trick and it drives straight and true, brakes straight. I love the exhaust note!

Went through the "punch list"... some things I'll get, but not the new rubber boots on the D-Jet connects, which I can understand. It would require dismantling the top end again and starting over. I will be replacing them on my MBZ D-Jet this winter, and I now it will take me at least a day to accomplish!

Good news of the day, I asked for a list of parts replaced, just for the provenance. They replaced the sway bar in the front with increased diameter, and added the 23mm sway bar in the rear. New Bilstein shocks, but don't know yet if they're HD. Car rounds tight bends pretty flat under power.
Waiting for the leak-down and compression tests from the rebuild.

Some of the original labels like the Karmann label in the door will be returned. They were removed for the re-paint.

A few more shots:
IMG_2746.JPG
IMG_2747.JPG
IMG_2748.JPG
IMG_2749.JPG
IMG_2772.JPG
IMG_2773.JPG
IMG_2774.JPG
IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2778.JPG
IMG_2779.JPG
IMG_2780.JPG
IMG_2781.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2776.JPG
    IMG_2776.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 168

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A few shots from around the shop:

So, we've all thought: "Wouldn't it be nice to have a 2002 like it was straight out of the factory?"...
IMG_2791.JPG
IMG_2792.JPG
IMG_2793.JPG
IMG_2790.JPG

This 1972 2002 has.... drum roll, please....
4,500 ORIGINAL KMs... yes, that's right, don't ask me how.
Those are the original factory/dealer service stickers. Engine as it looks has never been washed.
Carpets are clean, soft, pliable, with original Coco Mats on top! Factory seats with vinyl sides and textile centers are like new, horse hair pads feel like new.
The dealer sold it before it even made the carriage across from the original owner in Austria!
I have more photos and videos on my phone, but cannot transfer them at the moment.
Once polished and detailed, it will look brand new. He's trying to figure out how to detail the engine without disturbing those paper stickers!

So Atlantikblau has my vote as one of the colors that best complements the E10, E9, E3 form...
This one has something like 30,000 original miles, new paint and upholstery.
IMG_2783.JPG
IMG_2785.JPG
IMG_2786.JPG
IMG_2787.JPG
This Chamonix 2.5CS has 47(?),000 original kms, original paint. It looks like it just rolled off the assembly line...
IMG_2784.JPG

Clean 2800CS:
IMG_2789.JPG

A cute, cherry '74 2002Tii:
IMG_2777.JPG
IMG_2782.JPG

I forgot to shoot the beautiful '68 Bristol 1600 (just like my first '02!):( You can catch a glimpse next to the Atlantik Tii...

I almost forgot the Turbo...
IMG_2788.JPG

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What a stunning car! Congratulations!

Quick question: What kind of strange license plate is that? Definitely does not look Swiss. It looks like an old Dutch plate but in a highly unusual color.

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
By E10 you mean Type 114
I am entertained by the term "E10". As I understand it, BMW has no such chassis code. But the bimmer crowd has assigned this number out of convenience and lineage along side of the actual E3 and E9 designations. At least that is how it has been explained to me (by some pretty well entrenched '02 enthusiasts/owners).

Although I did read somewhere that the roundies are "type 114", and '74+ square tail light cars are E10s. I don't think I agree with that, but welcome being corrected.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am entertained by the term "E10". As I understand it, BMW has no such chassis code. But the bimmer crowd has assigned this number out of convenience and lineage along side of the actual E3 and E9 designations. At least that is how it has been explained to me (by some pretty well entrenched '02 enthusiasts/owners).

Although I did read somewhere that the roundies are "type 114", and '74+ square tail light cars are E10s. I don't think I agree with that, but welcome being corrected.

All round tail light 2002s are Type 114, the square light cars are e10, the touring are e6, the Turbo is an e20. The NK cars started with (based on displacement) 115, 116, 118, 120 (CS coupes) and the 2000 sedans are Type 121.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All round tail light 2002s are Type 114, the square light cars are e10, the touring are e6, the Turbo is an e20. The NK cars started with (based on displacement) 115, 116, 118, 120 (CS coupes) and the 2000 sedans are Type 121.
I stand corrected, and pleasantly educated.