72 CSi rotisserie restoration

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

Enjoyed going over this thread and my hat of to you for your amazing skills.

What I always wonder about if I see this kind of body work is how you are able to ensure that everything exactly gets back in to position as it was ment to be. I can imagine that there is just no margin for error and a few millimeter off left and right would seriously impact the end result?

Hope everything continues as planned and looking forward to seeung the end result.

Wladek

Reaction score
Look pretty close to mine (just different rotor color), i think we got similar taste;)
DSC03492.JPG

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
yes Wladek they are a nice wheel.............are yours 16x9 and 16x7 ??....they look to be. Exact same color silver all round with BMW centre cap. I got mine from Paul Ehrlich in NC.
upload_2018-7-17_8-55-50.png

Last edited:

Wladek

Reaction score
yes Wladek they are a nice wheel.............are yours 16x9 and 16x7 ??....they look to be. Exact same color silver all round with BMW centre cap. I got mine from Paul Ehrlich in NC.View attachment 49241
Mine originally are RS 005 (7") & RS 022 (9"), but i upgraded them with wider lips - front RS005 have 2" lips from, instead 1,5", so now they are 7,5"; rear have 3" lips, instead of 2", so now they are 10". Didn't put them yet on the car for fitting, but if some mods will be required in future - i still have 1,5" front lips & narrower barrels on my second set of RS's.

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought I was running close to maximum widths ............man you are cutting it fine. My offsets are +11 front and +8 rear.............I believe they should fit without problems:) fingers crossed.
when are you fitting yours?? I am about 3 months away.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My car had 255/45 15s when I got it (rolled quarters). It was tight!!! But seemed to fit. They were dried and cracked, and I couldn't find replacements in that size. I've since put something much milder on during the resto...

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yay..........love big rubber...Nice stance on your coupe..........those front tires look smaller than 45 profile. I am hoping to go 55 front as per Pic below.

Attachments

• 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 497

Wladek

Reaction score
That was quick overall test of 3" (made by me some time ago) - camber was not set properly (in that position it is maximum positive), because as you can see wheel was full down & body was full up. Anyway, as you can see even in that position it is almost lined up, so with flatter tires & in normal camber position (0 or little bit negative) i think it should work.
If we talk about 2" front lips - i saw couple Euro version e9's with that assembly & it fit plug'n'play without any rolling arches etc..

BarryG - your RS's are awesome!!!
2017-03-19_12-12-39_28.jpg

inovermyhead

Reaction score
That’s a great looking car Stan, I think you got the stance just right, she just looks like she wants to fly.
Did you move your door mirrors forward?

John

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That’s a great looking car Stan, I think you got the stance just right, she just looks like she wants to fly.
Did you move your door mirrors forward?

John
Went very Euro: Moved the mirrors forward, removed side markers, added Euro rear fog. Retained 14" Alpina wheels.

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Week 16 at fabricators. car let down from jack and absolutely nil movement in panels. Perfect door gaps I am very happy. I am hoping only 4 more weeks and off to spray painters:)
engine being assembled at the moment M90/B34 with retro D Jetronic FI and ignition system. Pics to come.

Attachments

• IMG_4188.jpg
    IMG_4188.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_4190.jpg
    IMG_4190.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_4191.jpg
    IMG_4191.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_2462.JPG
    IMG_2462.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_2466.JPG
    IMG_2466.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 503

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Week 17 Fabricators. Rust holes in Upper Firewalls LHS and RHS cut out new metal, fabricate and weld. Getting there.

Attachments

• Firewall Upper LHS 1.JPG
    Firewall Upper LHS 1.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_8279.JPG
    IMG_8279.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 430
  • Firewall Upper LHS 3.JPG
    Firewall Upper LHS 3.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 445
  • Firewall Upper LHS 4.JPG
    Firewall Upper LHS 4.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 415
  • Firewall Upper RHS 1.JPG
    Firewall Upper RHS 1.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 425
  • Firewall Upper RHS 2.JPG
    Firewall Upper RHS 2.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 428
  • Firewall Upper RHS 3.JPG
    Firewall Upper RHS 3.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 419
  • Firewall Upper RHS 4.JPG
    Firewall Upper RHS 4.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 452

hj9

Reaction score
What gauge sheet metal was used for that rain tray? is it same all the way around the car?