e9 Rear caliper "piston" question

Rod Cole

Reaction score
After seeing how bad the front calipers were, I knew the rear needed to be gone thru. I did a search and couldn't answer my question.
Can someone tell me why they milled away a portion of the surface of the piston that bears on the pad. I did a search on the web and found rebuilt calipers and saw the same "cut-out" on all the ones I looked at, so, there must be a good reason. A second question might be, what direction must the cutout face, but I think it would move in time, so I don't think it's a matter of how it faces - but why is it there
P6190518.JPG
P6190518.JPG
P6190519.JPG
P6190519.JPG
????

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Owners Workshop Manual states that the cutout must be in the correct position else "brake judder, squealing or excessive pad wear may result."

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I looked into this and was told that the cutaway was added to the race cars and fitted to all cars for a while.
It was to do with the piston getting stuck by "cocking" in the bore. I don't know if this is correct.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
May be wrong, but I thought those pistons were for the rear calliper only and had to do with how the pistons engage with the back of the pad, I understood that the rear of the pad engages with disc fractionally before the front and reduces the initial bite and therefore noise and vibration.

John