The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Today's Update:
I need your help, please.
Benny tried to put in the front windshield, but broke the seal. We need to order another one. I think I bought it at W&N, but hoping to get one local. Calling BMW of Monterey now. The video is short, 5 minutes but shows Benny explaining the issue he is having with the front windshield install and he asked me to ask the forum for help. He has done similar versions before, e.g. Porsche 356, but finds the front window to be a bit odd as explained in the video.

He is rethinking whether he need new clips for the belt trim too since the guy that said they were fine is no longer there. He just said, order a new set, but not quite sure precisely what I need to order. JP from Carl Nelson is reaching out to him now, but will need to scroll up and search to make sure it wasn't previously discussed. I am certain there was all sorts of thoughts here on how to install the windshield that Benny wasn't interested in until now....

The great news is that I stumbled upon a shop that specializes in tuning carbs, which has been a HUGE issue for me. Getting closer, but not likely I will be on the road at this rate until July.

Thanks again for all your help.

Scott

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
For the belt-line clips, I believe that @sfdon found the best combination. I want to say W&N nuts with BMW bolts. Something like that - he posted this recently but you'll have to search for it.

For the windscreen, I've never heard of anyone using rope. I think he should use wire. Not only is it less prone to cutting/fraying, the plastic jacket will work better with the lubricant.

Skip to 34 minutes for the windscreen install. Then watch the whole series in amazement later...

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mark, I think you are correct, the nuts I got from WN are nice with a rubber washer built in, the nuts from Carl N. will work fine also, they are plastic to prevent you from over tightening
The T bolts from WN did not work very well, too short

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For the windscreen, I've never heard of anyone using rope. I think he should use wire.
I am no expert, but I believe rope is used very frequently (old school method). The rope needs to be well lubricated, but this is the material I've seen in old timer windshield installers kits. And I used rope to install windshield 25 years ago and it worked like a charm. 2-person job, a lot of crossing fingers, but it worked just like the experts... My 2 cents.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am no expert, but I believe rope is used very frequently (old school method). The rope needs to be well lubricated, but this is the material I've seen in old timer windshield installers kits. And I used rope to install windshield 25 years ago and it worked like a charm. 2-person job, a lot of crossing fingers, but it worked just like the experts... My 2 cents.

I’m no expert either. I think I need to sign off for the rest of the week. :D

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m no expert either. I think I need to sign off for the rest of the week. :D
Don't sign off just yet. :D I just watched several other videos that use wire, weed wacker line, etc (and a few that use rope). Seems there are a handful of suitable products that work. I love having options. ;)

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
PS: Someone pointed me here from Facebook too: https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/windscreen-chrome-trim-installation.27522/#post-211725
which says:

1. We've just refitted the front and rear windscreens to my E9 and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best way of installing the chrome trim over the rubber gasket? The windscreen and rubber went in fine but we are having problems getting the chrome trim back in. Do we need a tool or is there a certain technique we need to use? I'm based in the UK? Many thanks in advance.

Simon

thelatestcraze, Jan 8, 2018Report
    #1LikeReply

2. michelkMemberSite Donor
    hello
    no tool or something what can scratch te trim
    you must before installing the window whit rubber ,
    place also the trim
    set the chrome trim on his place at rubber before installing
    and set all,windscreen/rubber/chrome trim together in the car
    when trim is not straight,reform to his natural form an then placed in rubber
    succes
    michel

www.bmwclassiccar.com
    michelk, Jan 8, 2018Report
    #2LikeReply

3. GransinWell-Known MemberSite Donor
    Yep, as Michel wrote, you can’t install the trim if you’ve already installed the gasket and window.
    It all has to go in as one unit, the trim has to be fitted to the gasket before/while installing it, if you try to fit the trim afterwards you’ll likely bend or destroy the trim.

Gransin, Jan 8, 2018Report
    #3LikeReply

4. Roger SMember
    You should use blue tape or a comparable masking tape to hold the trim in place. A second (necessary) or third pair of hands makes the install easier and helps the trim to stay in the groove, i.e., lock the windscreen, as the chord is pulled and pressure is applied on the front of the glass on the side the chord is being worked/pulled.

Good luck.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Someone on Facebook says:
Kjeld Grøndal Totally wrong, he should put the chrome in after he fitted the window in the car....
Rick Van Dyken You are correct sir. BMW makes a special tool for the chrome strips.
right?

Only on a 2002 with plastic chrome, never on a coupe! And never listen to Facebook experts.

restart

Reaction score
Yes, I have only done a couple of bimmer windshields and used cord rope, or is that rope cord. Like carpenter line for plumb bobs. Very rewarding when it works.
Weed whacker line and wire sound good too.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Yes, guilty of jumping in to comment without reading the whole post and had visions of shredded rubber and unhappy owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.