Is this a good time for a 5 speed swap ?

EJ333

Reaction score
My four speed will be needing new synchros in the upcoming months. Can you help me weigh the pros and cons of going to a five speed swap ?

Honolulu

Reaction score
It's gonna depend on your financial resources and, as above, how much highway driving you do.

But then, you've driven a four speed for so long, might as well keep it?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What's your rear ratio right now?

If 3.25, you can get some off the line grunt if you go w/say a 3.45 or 3.64 plus a 5-speed OD to offset the lower ratio for the highway.

It's always a benefit. The only downside is time and money.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My four speed will be needing new synchros in the upcoming months. Can you help me weigh the pros and cons of going to a five speed swap ?

5spd Swap Pros:

• You need a new transmission. That means you or someone else needs to remove and install it, so most of the labor is a given
  • Overdrive helps on the highway, I've never heard a single owner complain about a five speed swap. In fact the only people I've ever seen complain is non-owner window shoppers on BAT that like to gripe about originality.
  • You can always keep your four speed for backwards compatibility
  • Selling point, a lot of people (BAT window shoppers excluded) appreciate the 5spd swap
  • Gas mileage increase
  • Cabin noise decrease at highway speeds. I've never been on the highway in an e9 but I've heard with the small greenhouse it is extremely quiet (except for that 1:1 4th gear issue).
  • You get to row through one extra gear
  • Bragging rights, you get to tell your BMW friends about all of the above, while casually skipping everything listed below.
5spd Swap Cons:
  • Your car is less original, I think it matters for a CSL and will eventually matter to a degree with a CSI or an early 2800CS.
  • You need quite a few other parts, shift platform, trans support, driveshaft, etc.
  • Your gear shift sticker will be forever incorrect, unless you buy a new one from @Stan
  • Selling point, 1% of the market will scoff at your modernized e9 and lust for highway drone
  • Your four speed will take up room on a shelf when you decide to keep it for the eventual BAT auction
  • Unlike before, you may need to upshift when passing people on the highway. If you drive fast this could cause tennis elbow
  • The extra shifting into 5th gear means that your shifter bushings and throwout bearing will wear out in 19.75 years instead of 20 years

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love the 5th gear on the highway above 70mph. Much quieter. Totally reversible in the event someone cares at resale. My Getrag 262 is currently on a shelf as Markos mentions.

bdigel

Reaction score
5spd Swap Pros:
  • You need a new transmission. That means you or someone else needs to remove and install it, so most of the labor is a given
  • Overdrive helps on the highway, I've never heard a single owner complain about a five speed swap. In fact the only people I've ever seen complain is non-owner window shoppers on BAT that like to gripe about originality.
  • You can always keep your four speed for backwards compatibility
  • Selling point, a lot of people (BAT window shoppers excluded) appreciate the 5spd swap
  • Gas mileage increase
  • Cabin noise decrease at highway speeds. I've never been on the highway in an e9 but I've heard with the small greenhouse it is extremely quiet (except for that 1:1 4th gear issue).
  • You get to row through one extra gear
  • Bragging rights, you get to tell your BMW friends about all of the above, while casually skipping everything listed below.
5spd Swap Cons:
  • Your car is less original, I think it matters for a CSL and will eventually matter to a degree with a CSI or an early 2800CS.
  • You need quite a few other parts, shift platform, trans support, driveshaft, etc.
  • Your gear shift sticker will be forever incorrect, unless you buy a new one from @Stan
  • Selling point, 1% of the market will scoff at your modernized e9 and lust for highway drone
  • Your four speed will take up room on a shelf when you decide to keep it for the eventual BAT auction
  • Unlike before, you may need to upshift when passing people on the highway. If you drive fast this could cause tennis elbow
  • The extra shifting into 5th gear means that your shifter bushings and throwout bearing will wear out in 19.75 years instead of 20 years
non-owner window shoppers on BAT that like to gripe about originality.

blahahhahahahaha OMG that's the best quote ,, love it,

EJ333

Reaction score
What would be the range of cost for new synchros in my four speed versus a new five speed ? I really don’t do much highway driving, so l’m leaning towards new synchros.
Also, is there a shop that anyone would recommend in the Southern Cal area ?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What would be the range of cost for new synchros in my four speed versus a new five speed ? I really don’t do much highway driving, so l’m leaning towards new synchros.
Also, is there a shop that anyone would recommend in the Southern Cal area ?
Synchros can be had at RMEuropean for a reasonable price.
This being said, the cost of the synchros is a relatively minor consideration in the big picture of this question.
How can you live in southern California and not do much highway driving?

EJ333

Reaction score
My e9 is primarily something I use for local drives to the coffee shop and occasionally for work. Fortunately, I live 7 minutes away from the office.

EJ333

Reaction score
I went to the RMEuropean website, but unfortunately they don’t have a listing for e9 synchros, but they do for some other models.
Any other sources ?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I went to the RMEuropean website, but unfortunately they don’t have a listing for e9 synchros, but they do for some other models.
Any other sources ?
It’s not under e9. I found them for The getrag 265. So it was probably under 528i or something.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
My e9 is primarily something I use for local drives to the coffee shop and occasionally for work. Fortunately, I live 7 minutes away from the office.
Yes, be very careful you are building the car for your use, and not for someone who will not drive your car. You have identified how you use your Coupe, so to embark on a transformation that you, yourself, may not fully appreciate, is well, central to this argument. You seem like you know what you want, and once you locate parts needed, (and you will) it is just a matter of finding someone you will trust to do the job, and get back on the road. There are also probably some used 4 speeds out there that you can swap in, and this can buy you some time. Let us know what you do. Mike

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are also probably some used 4 speeds out there that you can swap in, and this can buy you some time.

I know of three on the market now off the top of my head. There are plenty more sitting in garages and shops.