Rally drivers secret !

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
hi all, as i see more members complain the indirect steering issues we have with the steering box , almost impossible to convert to rack&pinion , i want to share something we do for more direct steering feel .
Ofcouse the steering wheel force becomes a bit harder but the car steers so much better !

First i want to state that it involves welding on steering components... so in fact only for off road use :)
And the welding is sure no DIY job.... really prof work. Also cover the welded pieces with a blanket and let it cool slow.... inspect for cracks ! and test strength ...

Now , what's the trick ?

our steering tie rod is after the pitman and steering arm. The ball joints are 35 mm long. So we weld a 70 mm long piece in ,a cut in half, pitman and steering arm. Inverse the steering rod and all geometry remains the same.. with only now the steering rod in front of the pitman arm.

Ofcourse a pitman arm , 70 mm longer , gives a far better steering ...:)

That's my rallycar , for years now OK , compare it to yours ... ;)

SAM_2440.JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Attention to some brands of headers ... it just clears my Schnitzers.
Ofcourse a wheel alignement is needed... after changing it .

I wouldn't want to drive anymore the OEM setup.... :D

E9madada

Site Donor
Reaction score
Showing my ignorance of steering geometry:confused:, can you explain how this improves the the feel?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
@E9madada , the steering ratio becomes 1/3 better !
as you elongate the pitman arm , the wheels angle more for the same steering wheel angle , hence some more force on the steering wheel to apply.
I'm surprized there's no much reply on this one here... This is THE mod to make a E9 more sporty driven ! The OEM ratio is just very old school.... just like a tractor :D

i love the E9 but did not sleep before i got a solution for that !!

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I understand the modification... Does anyone have a picture of a non-modified linkage to compare so it becomes more clear?

Side note...Did BMW not make a quick ratio box for the e9 ? My 2000CS shares the same front subframe as a 2002, and my car had the optional QR box installed at some point. It steers very nicely, thank you very much :)

Ed

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
i have to say thank you
and then, i still cant identify the modification
i wonder if you can make an schematic drawing
regards

I didn’t fully understand the explanation but the tie rod is reversed. He is essentially creating a longer pitman arm by moving the pivot points behind the sweep of the arm (I think). So you get the feel of more sensitive steering.

Here is a pic of my subframe. Keep in mind that it is upside down. In this pic the car is on the lift and you are under the driver’s rocker looking up at the subframe.

55DEDFA6-7956-41C1-B1B5-72D61161D517.jpeg

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i know it's difficult to explain or to understand , but standing under the car makes it all clear !
Imagine the 3 steering rods ( from wheel to wheel ) inversed ....but entering the wheel arms at the same place : then the center one is 70 mm more to the back of the car ... so you elongate pitman and steering arm 70 mm ! :)

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i know it's difficult to explain or to understand , but standing under the car makes it all clear !
Imagine the 3 steering rods ( from wheel to wheel ) inversed ....but entering the wheel arms at the same place : then the center one is 70 mm more to the back of the car ... so you elongate pitman and steering arm 70 mm ! :)

pristine clear now, thank you
it is simply brilliant
i understand your point of the difficulty of elongating that arm, yes that is forged material, so welding there,... wow !
thank you

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is how I understand it, cut at the red lines, add 70mm to the arms, weld.
Then turn the steering arms 180 degrees.
Thanks for the tip, Barry! Seems like an interesting mod, but as you said, dangerous if done even slightly wrong.

55DEDFA6-7956-41C1-B1B5-72D61161D517.jpg

Last edited:

E9madada

Site Donor
Reaction score
@E9madada , the steering ratio becomes 1/3 better !
as you elongate the pitman arm , the wheels angle more for the same steering wheel angle , hence some more force on the steering wheel to apply.
I'm surprized there's no much reply on this one here... This is THE mod to make a E9 more sporty driven ! The OEM ratio is just very old school.... just like a tractor :D

i love the E9 but did not sleep before i got a solution for that !!

Belgiumbarry, thank you, makes sense now.
I would like to give it a go if I can find some spare arms (so I have mine to go back to).

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
welding was not difficult at all ! my "prof" did a edge preparation both sides to a center nose off 2x2 mm and welded it ( mild steel ) TIG... than let it slowly cool under a blanket ....perfect .
I must say that now , after a year and about 3000 km rally , the "rubber" bushing for the steering arm has serious play... so i ordered new ones at W & N. Perhaps it was already worn, perhaps it can't withstand the extra forces ? i don't know. Happy to renew it , no big deal.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
sorry John , i would never make that for other members.... it is and stays steering equipment ! if you want to do that you must be responsible yourself for the welding....
I don't even will do that on my blue CS because others will drive that car to....

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
good idea , but you need also the steering arm and it must be 70 mm exactly or the steering geometry changes ... don't know if that would be worse.. ?