1972 3.0 CS in St. Louis

jefftepper

Reaction score
In the tradition of nit picking, I notice some things not yet commented upon:
The center console has 4 window lift buttons yet the front doors have window cranks. Any guess about why?
The A/C appears to have 2 in-line driers mounted to the right fender well. Any reason for this redundancy?
The shoulder belt holder in the ceiling is empty with no evidence of shoulder belts mounted in the roof rails. Weren't shoulder belts standard by 1972 in US market cars.
The floor patch in the driver's footwell makes no attempt to blend in.
Chrome exhaust tip looks like it came from a Pep Boys parts store.
Screws/bolts attaching steering wheel to hub are mismatched. Not exactly a painstaking effort when it comes to details.
The "believed to be original miles" statement causes me to question the factual basis of that belief. Did they go to a Shaman, use a Ouija board, or did it involve some religious experience involving snake handling and speaking in tongues? LOL

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
York compressor A/C coupes have a drier and a muffler which only looks like a drier. Can’t see the shoulder belt mounts but mid 72 got the shelf in the roof to hold the shoulder belts. Interesting that a US automatic would have velour interior. When it comes to miles I agree, even BaT says believed original miles when it should realistically say TMU unless you have proof.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have heard a few horror stories about Schmidt ... a member here flew up and looked at a car they were selling. the pics all looked good but the reality was something all together different. no direct experience, just highly recommend an independent PPI and a personal inspection.

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If anyone's seriously interested in this one I am in St. Louis and not far from Schmidt. I'm no expert but I'd be happy to go out there and put eyes on it. I also seem to recall some horror stories about Schmidt.

m_thompson

Reaction score
I hope that no one ever has the opportunity to make comments like this about my CS. ;-)

Missing the USA license plate brackets on the back.
I agree that crank windows is a little strange on a USA CS.
My cigarette lighter looks like the wiper speed switch, this one isn't.
Front speaker grill is missing. It does look nice that way.
Wrong parts tub in the trunk.
Holes drilled in the air filter housing.
Did a '72 have the extra emissions solenoids on the firewall? I thought that was a '73 and later thing.
On the AC, I believe that one is the receiver-dryer and one is a muffler. Mine is like that.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Probably the front windows' motors don't work, so the crank is there to facilitate opening the windows???

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Schmidt has a long published record
Do homework before doing business