anybody used lizard skin insulation..?

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just had my 2000CS sprayed with LizardSkin. We used the ceramic-infused on the ceiling and firewall for more heat shielding, and the regular stuff on the floors, doors and other panels. If the car is stripped down, it sure seems like a simple alternative to cutting and fitting lots of FatMat, or whatever brand matting you choose. I can tell you there is zero "ringing" in the panels now... just "thud" as you strike them.

Scroll to almost the bottom of my resto thread page 2 https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/67-2000cs-resto-papas-church-car.26742/page-2

Ed

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone have a view on this type of product in a wet climate? Living in the U.K. The car will get wet and do these products seal perfectly or can water get underneath! I wonder how they hold up after a few years of getting hot and cold etc.
I appreciate that fiberous materials such as thick under carpet matting can really soak up the water and hold it for some time, so I am not sure that there is a perfect solution.
I ask as my CSI is noisey on the motorway and extremely hot, so I want to think about options for it for the future and I am in the process of restoring a mk 2 Jag which will leak in the rain and no doubt be noisey.
Thanks C

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does anyone have a view on this type of product in a wet climate?

This stuff is similar to a polyurea spray-on bedliner we see here in the US for truck beds and heavy duty industrial applications. If the surface is properly prepped (we epoxy primed everything first) then I can't see how moisture could ever get under this stuff...

+1 on the heater bypass valve Andrew suggests and use the heat shielding material on the firewall and floor above the exhaust system.

Ed

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The acoustic Lizard Skin was easy to apply. Definitely epoxy prime first. It can be a bit messy so tape and mask everything off that you want to remain clean. Think about all the places / tabs where other parts will be fastened. This stuff has some thickness.

I sprayed the heat resistant material to the underside of the tunnel area.

IMG_6259.jpg
IMG_6264 (1).jpg
IMG_6266.jpg

readie

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. Think I am going to go for it.

Sven/ed, how many litres do I need to buy ?

Si

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My painter tells me 2 gallons (US) and the spray gun, if you don't have it.

Ed

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Will test it on my Jag.
Meanwhile I will search out the parts for the heater byepass.