The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

I didn't want to critizise the shop. It's just maybe the reason, why they offer the rocker "repairs" for such a reasonable price, while the mayority here might have thought, that you planned to cut out also the outer rocker, inspect and exchange maybe parts or sections of the middle beam and attached components of the A- and B- pillar etc.. As I wrote earlier I personally would't do a complete rocker repair or exchange, when a complete restoration of the rest of the car is not an option yet.

Not sure I completely follow but I think you were saying that you would not do a complete rocker repair and just do the one piece on the exterior that we are intending to do for the time being saving for a later date a complete restoration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wonderful update!

Never seen a chrome strip on the back of the front door window. Just a rubber seal glued to the rear window glass. There is a polished aluminum strip on top of the front window.

Fender liners are Lokari can get either Aluminum or Plastic. I have the Aluminum. (picture)
https://www.lokari.de/fender/Product-description

i ordered the Lokari stuff. Thanks.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
on the insulation parts, there is a thread: WTB firewall insulation
this is the guy that makes and sells some repo parts including the firewall insulation
Not 100% but probably OK, you don't really see it
https://www.cs-werk.de/produkt-kategorie/nachfertigungen-fuer-bmw-e9/page/3/
https://www.cs-werk.de/produkt-kategorie/nachfertigungen-fuer-bmw-e9/page/3/
He also makes the insulation that goes on the top of the inner front fenders

Thanks very much. Getting my shop to indicate which parts etc. they need is like pulling teeth. Any chance someone get just indicate which items here I need for engine compartment etc. I will just order and call it done... Reproduction is fine. I have no idea what to order. Thanks so very much!

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
My shop wants me to order a "camera" to inspect the inside. I just ordered this.

While this seems adequate for looking inside your car, the reviews reinforce my opinion of this product. A bit dated and not the best tech and thus not a great bargain.
One drawback is that the unit doesn't record video. It's fine for seeing where stuff is if you need to pass a wire or retrieve something, but for accessing condition, I much prefer to record what's there so it can be reviewed. I can also work the captured images to get more information after the fact. Adjusting brightness and contrast can help see things clearly.

The current hot sellers in this segment are cameras that attach to your Android device. They can then take photos or video. Since you are only buying the camera and cable, not the other support hardware, they are cheap. I have both a Harbor Freight scope like this Milwaukee and an Android style camera. They don't work with iPhones because of the way Apple has their ports and OS setup. (there are ones that do, but they are wireless and cost more) The other drawback is that the cheap Chinese cameras don't have the gooseneck to make the probe stiffer, just a flexible wire making getting it down a long path tricky.

Sorry, I'm giving too much information.

Yes, it will meet your needs, no it's not the best bargain or feature set, but it's probably the best compromise easily available at this time.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I say, forget the camera and cut off that outer rocker to see what's up.

As far as what to order for the engine compartment...not much. A few hood seals, but your's may already be good. You also doing the underside of your hood?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I say, forget the camera and cut off that outer rocker to see what's up.

As far as what to order for the engine compartment...not much. A few hood seals, but your's may already be good. You also doing the underside of your hood?

My hood looks fine as far as I can tell. Is that a common problem area?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
While this seems adequate for looking inside your car, the reviews reinforce my opinion of this product. A bit dated and not the best tech and thus not a great bargain.
One drawback is that the unit doesn't record video. It's fine for seeing where stuff is if you need to pass a wire or retrieve something, but for accessing condition, I much prefer to record what's there so it can be reviewed. I can also work the captured images to get more information after the fact. Adjusting brightness and contrast can help see things clearly.

The current hot sellers in this segment are cameras that attach to your Android device. They can then take photos or video. Since you are only buying the camera and cable, not the other support hardware, they are cheap. I have both a Harbor Freight scope like this Milwaukee and an Android style camera. They don't work with iPhones because of the way Apple has their ports and OS setup. (there are ones that do, but they are wireless and cost more) The other drawback is that the cheap Chinese cameras don't have the gooseneck to make the probe stiffer, just a flexible wire making getting it down a long path tricky.

Sorry, I'm giving too much information.

Yes, it will meet your needs, no it's not the best bargain or feature set, but it's probably the best compromise easily available at this time.

Do you have a brand that you can recommend for a link on Amazon I should just buy?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Already discussed on page 6 of this thread. Go on Amazon, search for endoscope camera and Android (or Apple). Dozens of choices will come up between 10 and 50 dollars. Differences will include length of scope, and whether it is is or wireless (mine is Jan, made by Depstech). Frankly, they are all so similar - don't think you can go wrong. Best part is you can take pics and video of what you see. Handy for future reference (and posting to this forum).

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Already discussed on page 6 of this thread. Go on Amazon, search for endoscope camera and Android (or Apple). Dozens of choices will come up between 10 and 50 dollars. Differences will include length of scope, and whether it is is or wireless (mine is Jan, made by Depstech). Frankly, they are all so similar - don't think you can go wrong. Best part is you can take pics and video of what you see. Handy for future reference (and posting to this forum).

Thank you. I actually went back to earlier post trying to find if there was one specific one that people recommended and then I got stuck down a rabbit hole when I went on to Amazon. I will return the one I just ordered when it arrives and get the best resolution version for my iPhone or my friends android. Thanks again for all of your help

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
5cb190b5767d2e826408ad1bc9dcce27.jpg

Awesome. I thought there was something super special about these. Honestly I thought they somehow determined how much paint was on our or something when I was reading about it. I did not realize it was just a camera.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
This should make us feel better. This truck is a little more than 10 years old. So it’s modern. My zero accidents E39 touring hatch rusted through at 7years old. I’m sure that if my X5 is on the road 35 years from now it’ll also be rusted out.

Attachments

• 31465E60-CD6D-4A6F-B753-5BC7A32E8006.jpeg
    31465E60-CD6D-4A6F-B753-5BC7A32E8006.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 159

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
This should make us feel better. This truck is a little more than 10 years old. So it’s modern. My zero accidents E39 touring hatch rusted through at 7years old. I’m sure that if my X5 is on the road 35 years from now it’ll also be rusted out.
Agreed. I want to know what my situation is.
Frankly, I would pay ~$4-6k just to ensure rockers are ok. Does that seem more than enough? That's in addition to what I am planning already for this work. BUT, I want to be on the road by no later than April 30. Do-able?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
"Doable"
Scott, this looks like a sizable shop. If they put three good body guys on it they could do a hell of a lot in a month. If the shop is willing to prioritize your job then I'll bet waiting for parts and decisions will dictate duration. End of March with three guys who don't have to wait for parts is equivalent to something like 800 man hours (if they don't work weekends). Should be plenty for your job. . .

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is this week's update. Great news! Not nearly as much rust in rockers as anticipated. Thanks all for suggesting I buy that camera/scope.

Here's the video walkthrough:

Here's the video from the scope, although unless you watch the above video at same time you can't tell what you are looking at. When there, it seemed ok, but if you just watch this video, it is more concerning:
If you click on the link below while watching the scope video, I believe it syncs up so you can see what you are looking at

Let me know if you think I need to look at anything else in particular.

Finally, we get to make forward progress and begin painting soon. Still no update on estimates....

BTW, if you watch the video, you hear about the person who fell down 4 flights of stairs, through to the ground. It was crazy.

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
By the way here is a picture of the stairwell someone fell down the center of it and lived to talk about it
9fe5ee19f93129a9b1a63261aa50a8fa.jpg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good news for sure! You got lucky! Glad they're also taking care of the fenderwells near the trunk (where he initially stuck a screwdriver through).

how in the heck did she fall through the staircase well? WTF was she doing?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good news for sure! You got lucky! Glad they're also taking care of the fenderwells near the trunk (where he initially stuck a screwdriver through).

how in the heck did she fall through the staircase well? WTF was she doing?

6b07bc370d70d5f3111981cfc12b8aaa.jpg
d80dd978781c6ef854f22d02d02cc533.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.