Window gear box

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the big round gear in this gear box for the front windows?
My housing has at least one and maybe two stripped threads.
I would like to remove gear so I can either tap for larger bolt or install inserts to use the original.

Gear front.jpg
Gear back .jpg

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks so much Rob.
That answers my question. I sure don't have much luck searching this forum.
I'm not changing to the E28 motors at this time. Mine worked reasonably well and when cleaned up should be fine.
I don't need to create more work than I have.
Car is completely disassembled to a bare metal body and has been in the cancer hospital for over a year. Now in the paint shop.

jmackro

Reaction score
Hmm, this looks a lot more like a window regulator gearbox than a window motor.

Markos: The e28 "motor" that nosmonkey refers to is actually an integrated gearbox-motor assembly (unlike the e9 which has a separate motor and gearbox). I agree with nosmonkey: why fool around with inferior technology when you could address the stripped holes AND get faster window operation?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos: The e28 "motor" that nosmonkey refers to is actually an integrated gearbox-motor assembly (unlike the e9 which has a separate motor and gearbox). I agree with nosmonkey: why fool around with inferior technology when you could address the stripped holes AND get faster window operation?

Cool that is good to know! Thanks to both of you.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary, stop by my house this weekend ... i have some spares. i might even give you one that has already been cleaned + greased.

Wladek

Reaction score
Has anyone removed the big round gear in this gear box for the front windows?
My housing has at least one and maybe two stripped threads.
I would like to remove gear so I can either tap for larger bolt or install inserts to use the original.

View attachment 38963 View attachment 38965
I did - gearbox was mounted in holder (vice) so the little metal gear was loose upside down (wasn't clamped), but housing was on stable area, then took flat bolt (dimension a little bit less than dimension of the gearbox center bolt) & started gently hit with the rubber hammer (in place marked with red arrow), after 10-15 gentle hits gears where disassembled from each other (little metal gear still left with the center bolt); Make it gently because you can easily bent gearbox aluminium housing.
Back assembly - little metal gear with bolt should be still upside down, but this time it should be locked on stable flat area (so it does not collapse after hammer hit), use something like key socket as the adapter between big plastic gear and hammer when hit.
Gear front.jpg

Last edited:

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What door is it for? I have a gearbox and motor from an eye that will make the Wi Dow go up twice as fast.