Should I or shouldn't I change the paint color from black to ?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am planning to have my car painted this winter. I am very excited. I do like the black and think it looks really elegant on this car especially once I get the chrome bumpers but I've always wanted one of those really unique colors like Inca or another bright color from the 70s.

What would you do?

I am not getting a super expensive paint job but a pretty good one. It is costing $4500 and he said it would not cost more to change the color. He is removing all of the glass and rubber. Do you feel that there is a risk of losing the windshield due to removal and I assume that the rubber is easily obtained.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw...VAhWFiVQKHWudAF8Q7AkIIw&biw=375&bih=628&dpr=2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is it the original color? There is a Karmann plate on the driver side door a pillar with a code, let us know what that number is. This may be a starting point for consideration.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hey Scott,

the biggest concern about a color change and the perceived value of the completed work comes down to the engine compartment and all of the other visible body parts that aren't on the outside. this always adds expense to the painting. the black engine compartment always looks out of place unless you paint the car atlantik or nacht blau.

as i remember, you have a tan interior ... the good news is that goes with many of the 'fun' 70's colors - turkis, taiga, granatrot, ceylon ... as well as most of the blues and greens.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
since its a '74, there is a high chance that it was originally siennabraun ... there were a fair amount of 74's in that color. not my personal favorite. so is the engine compartment brown? if so, you might look into granatrot (granada red metallic) ... look at pics of gary knox's car ... it has a tan interior and the brown engine compartment will tend to look a little like a dirty / worn red ... well somewhat. if you ever have the engine out, then you can repaint that area.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
since its a '74, there is a high chance that it was originally siennabraun ... there were a fair amount of 74's in that color. not my personal favorite. so is the engine compartment brown? if so, you might look into granatrot (granada red metallic) ... look at pics of gary knox's car ... it has a tan interior and the brown engine compartment will tend to look a little like a dirty / worn red ... well somewhat. if you ever have the engine out, then you can repaint that area.

I believe that is correct in terms of the color but I can confirm. The engine compartment was painted black when the car was painted years ago. Not sure if it makes sense to repaint the engine compartment although certain areas should be painted I suspect. There any specific questions or concerns I should ask about paint from the painter?

I was looking at the red car. I've always liked red.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here are some of my favorite colors
6f51c329e2ebe6f73e1f2c14e3263306.jpg
d6445b3e41ceda0411a94450bc41990f.jpg
87ec1986dce25412d5dd95579ce51d12.jpg
5e58e913c6c6bc0d5e8381d1003f884f.jpg
aa084f5e910d438d14d41b9d8c45b88b.jpg
23872d4df03b700eeb0eece72b4e274a.jpg
1ff8a90e2ff58bdc3b652b0f86d67dd1.jpg
de451d51864b3dc9acca009e2a614b7d.jpg
ac6a43e4a5b94fd208133ce16bd86f52.jpg

Dohn

Reaction score
As the driver of a black '74 I should probably plead its case, but there are some great colors that do wonders for the e9. As for the black engine compartment, I could see a lime green color like on the New Jersey CSL in your samples (Taiga?) working with a black engine compartment, especially if you had the black side stripes. I would paint the underside of the hood and trunk lid, no matter the color. Not sure that green would be great with a tan interior, though. Red would work, too; not for the purist, but aesthetically. And the tan interior would look good with red. But really, if you're not worried about the purists, paint it the color you like.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
As the driver of a black '74 I should probably plead its case, but there are some great colors that do wonders for the e9. As for the black engine compartment, I could see a lime green color like on the New Jersey CSL in your samples (Taiga?) working with a black engine compartment, especially if you had the black side stripes. I would paint the underside of the hood and trunk lid, no matter the color. Not sure that green would be great with a tan interior, though. Red would work, too; not for the purist, but aesthetically. And the tan interior would look good with red. But really, if you're not worried about the purists, paint it the color you like.

As I look through all the colors I posted I have to admit that Black may be my favorite after all.

Dohn

Reaction score
Black IS drop-dead gorgeous, when it's clean. Dark colors really make the trim pop, as well.

It's an e9; they don't do ugly in any color...

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
The only thing about darker colors ( specially Black ) scratch, waves are a lot more obvious and makes the car look not as shinny

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,
My car is very close to Granatrot (Garnet red), but not exactly, as it is a Porsche color from about 1980 - Surinam red. The man who had this '74 restored in the late '80's spent nearly $40K on the restoration and painting. I've been told that the original color was silver, but there is NO place I can find on the car this is not well painted with the Surinamrot.

I believe you have two options if you choose to change color (yes, black is spectacular when done at least as good as factory, and kept very clean, but over 16 years I had a succession of 6 black Porsche 928's, and I don't want black again!).

Seems to me in a repaint there is the option of a traditional 'classy' color and there are about a dozen of those I think look great on e9's. The other option is the 'LOOK AT ME' colors of the 70's. Whatever, select a color you will like even better 5 years from now than you did the first day you put it in the garage. I 'liked' the Surinamrot when I saw it and bought it, and I like it even better today (it had grey interior when I bought it, and I've completely changed it out to tan leather and OE black/grey carpet. That combination strikes my eye better than the combination when I bought it.

Good Luck,

Gary