My 1971 2800CS Build

M.Burroughs

Reaction score
I know most of you have seen it already but I figured I'd post up a "build" thread for my E9. It's a '71 2800CS.
I haven't been documenting all that well so far but I'll be sure to start.

Here's the car the day I picked it up about a month ago.

5841503890_24e48f8266_o.jpg

5841505314_70af01587b_o.jpg

5841513690_5c4e3ce8e4_b.jpg

5841517572_6c74f13fab_b.jpg

5840970157_698dd40646_b.jpg

5841519486_fca58f44e2_b.jpg

It's in great shape overall with a few flaws inside and out. Namely cracked paint on the nose and cracking wood on the dash. It's got some rocker rust but overall it's quite sturdy.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like my car (69 2800cs). :cool:

Welcome!.. and looking forward to more updates and photos.

Dan

M.Burroughs

Reaction score
The first thing I did was remove the wheel. I plan on recovering it myself, since as you can see, it is pretty rough.

_MG_7025.jpg

More on that later though. I've got a new one in the car you'll see in future pics.

I had a garage fire in March and lost most of my belongings to it. I had a set of 18" BBS RS wheels in the garage at the time, which I am sure most of you know are the pinnacle of the BBS RS line and are very rare.

_MG_0451.jpg

They fortunately didn't get too hot and weren't as close to the fire as a lot of other things. The rubber on the tires didn't melt so I felt a bernell hardness check would suffice and sure enough, the wheels are fine. So I began the refinishing process. I sanded them down extensively to remove all of the horrible pitting and whatnot. I then sent them out to be chromed.

Screen_shot_2011-07-13_at_12.59.25_PM.png

Screen_shot_2011-07-13_at_4.21.58_PM.png

M.Burroughs

Reaction score
So then I ordered tires and in the mean time, got to work on a CSL airdam.

Sorry for the cell pics!

IMAG0391.jpg

I wanted to fit it with the bumper on the car, so I had to do a good bit of trimming. The part came from coupeguy.com. He was very helpful and got me the airdam very quickly. It fits pretty well for the most part, my only complaint being a gap on the pass. side that I will have to solve in the future.

The tires came in while the airdam was at the paint shop, so I had to set 'em next to the car to see how they'd look. :mrgreen:

IMAG0400.jpg

The that evening I butchered some E28 suspension bits and brought the car on down to sea level, a bit lower than everyone's taste, I am sure. But it's what I enjoy, so take it for what you will. :)

IMAG0401.jpg

M.Burroughs

Reaction score
And here's where she is today. I know it's far lower than most of y'alls taste, and I know the wheels are big and such but as said, it's my own take on the car.

5964563145_2490004bf1_b.jpg

Up next will be bits of maintenance. I just got a box of parts in for a brake system overhaul and I'm going to rebuild one of the rear window motors because it currently does not work.

After that will be dash wood replacement!

CookeD

Reaction score
I think the car looks great! Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, either. It's your car.

It's worth mentioning that you're putting a car that's hard not to notice and was previously left for dead out in front of people, and that's good exposure for everyone. Good job, and keep it up!

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wheels too big, car's too small.....Who's to say? Doesn't matter as long as you're enjoying it. Suffice it to say, you've got the coolest ride amongst your friends. The fact that you're caring for and sharing your e9 is what's important IMHO....Not a perfect match for me, but those are killer wheels.

M.Burroughs

Reaction score
Much appreciated guys! I'm doing my best to bring some E9 love to the younger crowd. Trying to mix classic styling with a bit of a modern take on it. Glad you guys enjoy it. :D

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Love the rims...

not sure I like the "lowered stance" but I really like the pictures i've seen.

The black and white photos, the graphics I've seen with it (related fonts, the camera angles etc.) ... I've seen this car quite alot over the past few weeks and from a graphic design standpoint, what I've seen absolutely ROCKS!!

I'm not sure if you have a graphic designer working for you or if you're doing the Coupe work youself, but you really should be proud of both. Really good.

Roger S

Reaction score
Your car, your vision. Congratulations, I love it. This is the only coupe I've seen with larger wheels and a lowered stance that doesnt look like "a girl with big teeth." An appropriate phrase once shared by a gentleman I purchased my first 2800 from.

I am happy that you were able to recover from your fire and that life was not lost or more of your car related parts. I'm still recovering from a 2008 fire and have only just begun to pick up back with the restoration of my coupes.

Enjoy it. Outside of the aggressive stance, I don't see anything that a purist might object to. We should look at the radios and the exposed speakers we install first to find fault.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I like it!

Can you be more specific about what you did with the suspension?

Check out the registry link to see where I landed...rear springs were cut 1.5 coils and in the front I am using slip on coil overs from Ground Control, along with their camber plates. Front travel is 2.5 inches.

With shorter struts I could lower it more, but the A arm geometry is already pretty bad.

M.Burroughs

Reaction score
not sure I like the "lowered stance" but I really like the pictures i've seen.

The black and white photos, the graphics I've seen with it (related fonts, the camera angles etc.) ... I've seen this car quite alot over the past few weeks and from a graphic design standpoint, what I've seen absolutely ROCKS!!

I'm not sure if you have a graphic designer working for you or if you're doing the Coupe work youself, but you really should be proud of both. Really good.

Thank you. I am a professional photographer and one of my business partners is a professional designer. It's all part of what we do.

Your car, your vision. Congratulations, I love it. This is the only coupe I've seen with larger wheels and a lowered stance that doesnt look like "a girl with big teeth." An appropriate phrase once shared by a gentleman I purchased my first 2800 from.

I am happy that you were able to recover from your fire and that life was not lost or more of your car related parts. I'm still recovering from a 2008 fire and have only just begun to pick up back with the restoration of my coupes.

Enjoy it. Outside of the aggressive stance, I don't see anything that a purist might object to. We should look at the radios and the exposed speakers we install first to find fault.

Thank you, much appreciated!

I like it!

Can you be more specific about what you did with the suspension?

Check out the registry link to see where I landed...rear springs were cut 1.5 coils and in the front I am using slip on coil overs from Ground Control, along with their camber plates. Front travel is 2.5 inches.

With shorter struts I could lower it more, but the A arm geometry is already pretty bad.

I pulled the spacers up top and stuck shorter E28 springs in place of the originals. I also modified the upper spring seat. It's not finished though, but when I get it all perfect I will post it all in here so anyone who wants to do something similar will be able to do so.

TodB

Reaction score
stanceworks cah

First off, you take REALLY nice pics. Really nice.

Not my preference on the wheels, size that is, but I do agree that RS' are the bomb and your car looks awesome. Make sure you bring it to your local CCA chapter show to really piss of the purists!

Dave L

Reaction score
beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Nice car, I like the lowered suspension, I've always thought most e9's ride high to begin with. I am not a fan of the wheel set up. It's just my personal opinion that when you look at such a "low profile" wheel and tire set up from the side view that it looks like your riding on bicycle tires, so it looks kinds silly. again, my opinion. Also from a driving perspective it's tough. I've run an 18 inch set up on my e24, but have them off the car because they are punishing not just on the car but also the driver and any defects in the road are murder on them if you drive the car much. But nice job on the rest of the car.

Dave L