WTB: BMW E3 E9 E10 Sport Steering Wheel Spoke Corner Chrome Trims

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm looking for chrome half-rings used for genuine classic BMW steering wheel.

steering_wheel_chrome_corners.jpg

Parts are used on the spoke corners, close to steering ring.

steering_wheel_chrome_spoke_corners.jpg

Are they available?
Maybe someone has some?

Even single top/bottom parts are welcome.

I would be happy with almost any visual condition.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi,

The fronts are not available anywhere. I've searched for ~5 years and came up only with some rear parts. Your best bet is to purchase an entire wheel to scavenge them, or make them yourself .

I ended up making them myself.

If you look up my for sale ads, some of them are for these wood wheels. One of them had 1 of them that I remade by hand from a piece of stainless steel tube. It came out near perfect, only the shine of stainless is just a bit more blue compared 1 to 1 vs chrome. But at 30 cm apart you cannot tell the difference.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi,

The fronts are not available anywhere. I've searched for ~5 years and came up only with some rear parts. Your best bet is to purchase an entire wheel to scavenge them, or make them yourself .

If you look up my for sale ads, some of them are for these wood wheels. One of them had 1 of them that I remade by hand from a piece of stainless steel tube. It came out near perfect, only the shine of stainless is just a bit more blue compared 1 to 1 vs chrome. But at 30 cm apart you cannot tell the difference.
I bet if I had a sample my nephew could reverse engineer. Question is, demand. I would need to see 20 at least

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think I see about 5 of these wheel per year which have about 2 fronts and 2 rears missing on average. Even with some wheels driving around missing a few parts, that will be tough. Or it will just mean a higher part price...

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Many thanks for feedback

I have found topic from few years ago discussing this problem

Hi,

I can also check wheather it would be possible to fabricate such a part by casting or CNC milling.

I wouldn't like to salvage the steering wheel despite its condition as they will never be produced probably and Chinesee reproductions is not something I would like to pay for from safety reason.

It is strange these parts were just (an only) glued to the wheel. I was expecting some pins or tabs going underneath the weneer or plastic arm material.
I'm dissapointed with this BMW sheering wheel supplier solution. :(

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, now I have a sample for the front part. The rears do not usually go missing.
I can get the sample to my nephew to reverse engineer and CNC cut from aluminum.
How many people want them?

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would be in for a set, depending on price. Wouldn't stainless steel be a better option, to come closer to the OEM chrome look? (chromed pot metal)
the front and rear parts actually touch each other, right in front of your nose.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Might want to start a separate thread announcing this, otherwise some may overlook this one.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would be in for a set, depending on price. Wouldn't stainless steel be a better option, to come closer to the OEM chrome look? (chromed pot metal)
the front and rear parts actually touch each other, right in front of your nose.
The aluminum once polished looks like chrome. And will cost much less.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
To refresh the topic...

I found the shop, able to make these jewels.

The price would be probably ~$30 (ballpark) for a pair (front+rear)

Is Anyone interested to make the order possible?

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is there really no interest or the price ballpark is not acceptable or something different?

Please don't be shy. :)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is there really no interest or the price ballpark is not acceptable or something different?

Please don't be shy. :)

I think you should clarify what you are proposing. The parts that you snapped picture of belong on a wood wheel. The thread title is for a sport steering wheel.

I would consider this 2002tii and the CSI wheel the sport steering wheel. These chrome trim pieces are different, and are actually secured by screws.

BC6BB7C6-7935-4AF0-8F0B-DAB82CB0AFF2.jpeg

2E9AA5E7-DF76-4DBD-B4A5-1A54A268AD71.jpeg

3CAE743E-2104-49D7-A972-8500F2307A05.jpeg

D8846427-A299-47A4-A335-84BCDB2C6D18.jpeg

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good point Marcos

I didn't realize that the chrome trims are different for sport steering wheel.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the ones you pictured are not such a big problem as they are fixed by screws and as such not falling off unexpectedly.

The main problem is for wooden steering wheels where the chrome trims are fixed by glue and are popping off after some time.

There are three pairs for the wheel (top and bottom piece)

Pictures of "specimens"
1680243369531.png

These were available at BMW at some point of time but according to @eriknetherlands were NLA about 2016.

I'm having wooden steering wheel and it was the reason I asked about availability but only hand making was the option.
Having the original parts (one set) I'm able to make some more, not only for me, but the labor and material is costly, so I thought it can also be interesting for Others.

I believe steering wheels using such jevelery were mounted in E3, E9, E10, 2000cs or even NK but not being an expert here.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I see. It is probably the truth.

But is - for few which could be interested - the problem with the responsibility, location or costs?

Thanks for open feedback as the one from @Stevehose