your meal today...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Black Sea toad fish

it is a monkfish, lophius scc.
very popular here in the cantabric sea

the way we prepare it is simple, let the wood carbon burn until you have all covered in ashes, and it is still hot, but not too much, for each kilo fish you need around 10 minutes, so 5 minutes each side, this one was 1,8 kilo, so 9 minutes per side,

the monkfish tells you when it is ready, as the flesh is both sides the spine, you can use a long knife to pinch the spine, if the flesh is easily separated from the spine, it is ready, it is advisable to keep the inner side of the flesh still pink for the next operation

then we pour olive oil very hot with garlic and hot pepper over the fish, previously four drops of vinegar and salt

a trick not to burn the garlic with the oil is prepare the garlic before in that oil, remove the garlic and pepper and spread it over the fish (once it is grilled), then warm the oil to 150 deg. and pour it over the fish,
the pink flesh will be finished with that oil, see the pink flesh still present in my picture...

help it with cold white wine, a txakoli will be perfect

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I really enjoy smoking fish in my cheap tube smoker. I'll say that a real smoker is better, but with less time available, the tube smoker is a very good compromise.
Whitefish and wild (not farmed) salmon are the favourites, and we eat alot of it, great food.

Attachments

• IMG_20200602_191852.jpg
    IMG_20200602_191852.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20200606_163518.jpg
    IMG_20200606_163518.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20200831_183829.jpg
    IMG_20200831_183829.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20190609_160631.jpg
    IMG_20190609_160631.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I really enjoy smoking fish in my cheap tube smoker. I'll say that a real smoker is better, but with less time available, the tube smoker is a very good compromise.
Whitefish and wild (not farmed) salmon are the favourites, and we eat alot of it, great food.

wowowow
i love the tube smoker,
when i stayed in Tampere i tried to buy one, it was not the season, but in any case the problem was the need to use the small wood tiles, and that makes it complex

well done

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that is excellent, i love octopus,
how do you cook it ?
1. I buy my octopus cleaned and de-beaked, you can clean it yourself but I haven't done this
2. Fill a big pot with water and bring to boil
3. Once boiling dip your octopus with tongs in and out of the water 3 times. This is mostly for aesthetics, it makes the tentacles curl
4. Stick a fork in the octopus to get a feel for what an uncooked octopus feels like, there is a "snap" feeling when you stick it with the fork
5. Empty all but a few inches of water from your pot, put the octopus in and let it simmer with lid on- a medium octopus will about 2 hours but it really varies depending on size
6. Flip the octopus over every 15 minutes add a 1/2 inch of water if needed, the octopus releases it's own fluid so you may not need to add any
7. Stick your fork in the octopus after about 1 hour, it probably isn't ready unless it's pretty small. If the fork slides in smoothly with little effort, try a few other spots, if they all slide in it's ready. Do this every time you flip over the octopus.
8. When it is ready you'll notice a layer of slime on the octopus, don't remove it. It will firm up on the grill and adds a lot to the texture.
9. Once it's ready cut it up like you see in my picture. Get your grill good and hot (over 400 degrees I'd say, as hot as you want), the octopus is cooked, you just want to sear it to your liking and firm up the slimey part.
10. Put the octopus on, not too long, once the slimey part is firm and you seared it a bit take it off. It'll get rubbery if it's on too long.
11. a good layer of olive oil but don't pool up too much, not just a drizzle. I recommend Kalamata Greek Olive oil, it has a great olive smell. Plenty of lemon, whole Greek oregano (I like Mexican oregano but not for Octopus or Greek Salad), Salt.
12. It'll turn out fine but it took me about 4 times to get it right.

TodB

Reaction score
Another recipe for smoked salmon!

Process
  1. Brine* for 4 hours in fridge
  2. Rinse, pat dry, lay out skin side down on butcher paper
  3. Sprinkle with dark brown sugar (maple syrup works also)
  4. Place in fridge, uncovered, let air dry for 4-6 hours
  5. Pull from fridge, brush the brown sugar water across the fish flesh
  6. Put it in the smoker with the butcher paper
I smoke at 180-200 using Alder or Apple (wood or pellets) until the fish' internal temp is ~150, 3-4 hours.

Brine Recipe*
  1. Add 1/2 cup hot water to a one cup measuring cup. Then pour in salt, any salt, until the water line reaches 3/4 cup.
  2. Pour slurry into a 2.5 gallon bag or appropriate vessel
  3. Add 1/2 gallon cold water
  4. Add 1/4 cup sugar, tablespoons of ground pepper, garlic powder, onion powder; Stir to dissolve
Use any extra in cream cheese for bagels or on crackers.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes how do you keep it from being rubbery. I had amazing octupus at a Spanish restaurant in Amelia Island recently

most liked octopus in spain is is galicia region, north west corner, atlantic ocean, all kinds of shellfish and long tradition in octopus, we differenciate that octopus from african octopus, not so tasty, but cheaper

in august plenty of places in galicia prepare octopus at open air spots, sort of local celebrations

the traditional way, called “pulpo a la gallega” includes, boiled potatoes, and boiled octopus, sprayed with olive oil and red pepper powder

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
1. I buy my octopus cleaned and de-beaked, you can clean it yourself but I haven't done this
2. Fill a big pot with water and bring to boil
3. Once boiling dip your octopus with tongs in and out of the water 3 times. This is mostly for aesthetics, it makes the tentacles curl
4. Stick a fork in the octopus to get a feel for what an uncooked octopus feels like, there is a "snap" feeling when you stick it with the fork
5. Empty all but a few inches of water from your pot, put the octopus in and let it simmer with lid on- a medium octopus will about 2 hours but it really varies depending on size
6. Flip the octopus over every 15 minutes add a 1/2 inch of water if needed, the octopus releases it's own fluid so you may not need to add any
7. Stick your fork in the octopus after about 1 hour, it probably isn't ready unless it's pretty small. If the fork slides in smoothly with little effort, try a few other spots, if they all slide in it's ready. Do this every time you flip over the octopus.
8. When it is ready you'll notice a layer of slime on the octopus, don't remove it. It will firm up on the grill and adds a lot to the texture.
9. Once it's ready cut it up like you see in my picture. Get your grill good and hot (over 400 degrees I'd say, as hot as you want), the octopus is cooked, you just want to sear it to your liking and firm up the slimey part.
10. Put the octopus on, not too long, once the slimey part is firm and you seared it a bit take it off. It'll get rubbery if it's on too long.
11. a good layer of olive oil but don't pool up too much, not just a drizzle. I recommend Kalamata Greek Olive oil, it has a great olive smell. Plenty of lemon, whole Greek oregano (I like Mexican oregano but not for Octopus or Greek Salad), Salt.
12. It'll turn out fine but it took me about 4 times to get it right.

i heard about this preparation, at least the first part about boiling and so on, the three times in and out the water seem to be important for some reason do not ask me why, but they always say that

thanks for sharing

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i heard about this preparation, at least the first part about boiling and so on, the three times in and out the water seem to be important for some reason do not ask me why, but they always say that

thanks for sharing
I've been told it is purely for aesthetics, it makes the tentacles curl up.