M5 Guibo fail

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Hi Gentlemen
I’m preparing to swap my 265 for a better 265 and discovered my Guibo going bad.
It’s a e34 m5 guibo
Probably under 5000 miles on it, maybe more
Looking up numbers I found a few,
26112226527 I want a good one ... Jurid? The best per past posts.

E3BBBDE9-1976-4814-917A-73E3BE103F35.jpeg

Help me out I don’t want to buy junk parts

Thanks

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This one says made in Germany, confirm from seller:

These have a pic of a German one, confirm with sellers:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Should last for more than 5K miles. It is a flex disc and is meant to fail. Premature failure could be too much tension from the drive shaft or the center bearing is out of plane with the flex disk. Could have also been twisted while torquing the nuts.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Should last for more than 5K miles. It is a flex disc and is meant to fail. Premature failure could be too much tension from the drive shaft or the center bearing is out of plane with the flex disk. Could have also been twisted while torquing the nuts.

Yeah, Stevehose had a good post on looking at the plane in which the driveshaft travels. If I remember correctly, he did some washer trick where he installed the bolts loosely with washers on each bolt and then slowly spun the driveshaft by hand while watching how the washers moved on the bolts. I used this technique, and ended up placing a couple of washers on the center bearing mounting bolts between the body and each side of the center bearing in order to move the center bearing away from the body and align the driveshaft.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Using a long nosed manual driveshaft with a m5 guibo manual Install can result in a gap that gives a guibo a wavy distorted appearance. That wave is caused by the difference in thickness of a stock guibo (45mm) and an m5 guibo (35mm)
Inserting factory bmw head bolt washers into the gap solves the problem.

Also- instructions are explicit and nobody seems to read them.... never tighten the bolts! The nuts get tightened.
This preloads the guibo. Not good.

And finally - guibos have arrows for a reason. Put them on backwards and they crack and then come apart.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Excellent now just make sure it is flush with the drive shaft as noted above. The CSB can be adjusted up/down and side to side to do so. I elongated the mounting slots on the CSB frame to have more adjustment and used washers for up and down.