Security

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd like a smoke device in mine one day. Just like the thought of it. Locking them in while activated would be nice too. Many years ago I put a solenoid on my fuel line on my Corvair that was wired to the dome light switch. Worked well unless you forgot it in the off position and then ran out of gas after 1/4 mile. Pretty sure one of my cars was taken with a tow truck.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Attended a car event today ...

And some one , some how stole my boot lock ... in fcuking broad day light !!!

Next car event I will be removing the boot lock and putting it in my pocket lol

Live and learn !!!

At Bibury??...

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
No
They’re was pieces of metal all over/in the rear scuttle panel & on the boot carpet ... look liked a bomb had gone off in the boot and exploded ..

Small pieces of metal all over the boot area .. hand held Dyson vac sorted that out and boot is clean again !!!

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
No
They’re was pieces of metal all over/in the rear scuttle panel & on the boot carpet ... look liked a bomb had gone off in the boot and exploded ..
Small pieces of metal all over the boot area .. hand held Dyson vac sorted that out and boot is clean again !!!

I can't figure out any other reason for someone to do that, other than to create a key just as @nosmonkey said. Or obviously just to get into the trunk, but that seems less likely in this case.
Is your car a "one key car" or is it a separate one that goes to the trunk?
Maybe it's nothing, but it seems a bit suspicious.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
4 keys for the car ie
Ignition
Glove compartment
Doors
Boot

The thieves can keep the boot lock as a trophy ,
They won’t be given a chance to steal another boot lock or anything else from the car or the car in the future

I see any person or persons in the future tampering with the car, they better have full BUPA health cover ...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You shoul dhave 2 different keys, one that does all locks, one that will not open the boot or glove box - the "valet" key.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As far as tracking devices, does LoJack still exist? Seems like it was all the rage 10-15 years ago. But now I don’t hear anything about it anymore.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I park my E9 up, I remove the rotor arm, disconnect x2 plug leads and take 2 wires off the coil. By my reckoning, this will delay them for quiet a while.

Good to know. Now, where do you park?

Reactions: Wes

mr bump

Reaction score
I have to park it in the shade most of the time, as the sun upsets the my pet rhodesian ridgback Mildred, is who is my primary security alarm

Rek

Reaction score
Thats a very stealable dog too. Double prizes for Mr Criminal!

My thoughts on tracking are that any thief won't know its there so will only find it later. Thats fine as my tracker tells me when the car is moving, and then tracks where it is going via sat nav. That allows me to give chase, or let the police know.

Strange that no-one has an alarm on their car anymore. I do believe that they are ignored unless it is outside an owners home. They are always going off around here. We call them Hackney Nightingales.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thats a very stealable dog too. Double prizes for Mr Criminal!

My thoughts on tracking are that any thief won't know its there so will only find it later. Thats fine as my tracker tells me when the car is moving, and then tracks where it is going via sat nav. That allows me to give chase, or let the police know.

I lived in South Africa for a couple of years where car jacking and vehicle theft were a huge problem. Many people installed GPS trackers on their cars, but thieves got hip to that and figured out how to quickly short it out to render it useless. Most people turned to low tech solutions like never stopping at red lights if there wasn't traffic in the other directions, having high fences with couple of Boerboels to guard the property, and parking only in lots with Security Guards and tipping them to make sure the car was there when you got back.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You really shouldn’t share on here what tracking or kills you use, if, unlike me, you have a CSL or target car. Insurance gets you another car or money, but that’s not why I have the car—it’s a terrible investment for me with parts, mistakes, time, etc. I’m underwater most likely. But while trying to sell my motorcycle today, I got some clarity. A guy shot me a decent offer on the Coupe. I told him he was a bit below market, but I wouldn’t sell it for market and he shouldn’t pay what I’d want. Thing is, I’ve spent a ton of time on it, have years more to go, but I like this flat-green late 74—even with diving boards, zcarbs, 4 spd, lbs of random undercoating, & ongoing rust surprises. Insurance is a given, but I’ve got mine tracked because I want this specific pain in the arse back.