Tootin my Horn(s)

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
As those of you with Weber sidedrafts know, air filter options are fairly limited even if you substitute a tii brake booster for the stock booster. The chrome oval and "ant eye" type filters look silly in our cars. Several members here are running air socks, canted at a 45 degree angle upward to clear the booster. I tried to source these, but these are not being manufactured anymore. I had been using very short wire mesh (stack) filters, but was concerned about how well they work.

I ran across a guy making replica Alfa air horns that are canted at a 45 degree angle and topped off with a foam filter: https://www.corsavelocita.com/

I ordered a set hoping that they would clear the brake booster and luckily they do. I haven't had a chance to run with them yet, but thought I would pass this along as I spent months looking for something like this.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting - I'll be looking forward to your further feedback. In the pictures they seem to bell out so much that they almost get in their own way at the big end. I suppose that is corrected by rotating the angle of the stacks a bit of zero. And of course, pics please. :D

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here's the initial install. I tried to angle the horns a little so that the space between them is the same, but the angles are a little off. If I put them straight off each carb, the ends of the filters touch two by two.

2018-08-10 18.17.15.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
you can also buy 90 degree alfa horns...

I looked at 90 degree horns. Ireland sells them, and I think the guy in the UK doing Alpina knock offs has them too. This still left me wondering about filter options (and I didn't want to go with the Alpina airbox because it would muffle the mellifluous sound of my carbs). At one point was thinking about perhaps trying to copy the air filters on the Muira. The filter elements are available, but needless to say, both the filter elements and a knock off box would be extremely expensive. And it is not clear that the spacing on the carb throats would be the same from my car to the Muira.

20160818_113303.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
eye candy

Hi Stan. Yeah, maybe this stuff is merely eye candy (probably would look even better with the red filters), but I won't know for a little while. Obviously, somebody developed this type of filter for the Alfa GTV racers, claiming this is the ideal shape horn for the Weber sidedrafts, but I am not about to invest in testing their hypothesis. Rather, I was seeking a horn option (believing some type of horn to be superior to merely bolting an air filter onto the side of the carb) with better filtration than what I had been running. We will see how this goes.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris,

Do you notice any difference with the DCOM’s?

Doug

Hi Doug -- garage testing went well, but road testing was cut short yesterday because my newly installed heat shield hits the drive shaft (DOH!). I had it fashioned pretty nicely, but I needed to bend it a little bit in order to get it installed. Apparently the installation bend changed its shape. Will report back after I get to road test/tune.