The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is good to hear, because this saga is better than reality TV car shows. I was just yelling at the TV a bit. I should look away, but I can't. After all this, we're invested and would be crushed if you two went the way of Sr. & Jr. on the biker show or, God forbid, the tall & short Brits.
Jay, you can always head on over to "Craigslist Finds" and help Haseeb spend his $2000. He is looking for input. ;)

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good morning Scott

I hope your short-term problems are soon resolved and you can proceed to enjoy driving your car.

With regard to the lost key I can say that I obtained a second set from a firm in Australia - [email protected]
I simply sent a clear photo of the key showing the key number - in fact the photo was probably unnecessary!
I received the set by return and the keys work perfectly.

Other members may know of someone offering this service more locally. Will the BMW dealer in Boise offer the same service?

Good luck, Scott.

Marco

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great news! Schwab is all finished!!! They said alignment went fine, but they couldn't figure out the camber plates I bought from carl nelson. Not sure why. Going to head down and record a video when he describes it and share with Carl for input.

I will be picking up the car later today, hopefully unless Benny says he needs another day to finish up.

What is a fair amount to hold back for sun roof and minor paint imperfections? How long do you think vehicle will need to be in his possession to paint, etc. sunroof and other areas.

I hope he finds my key and all the windows, etc work

nearing the end.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update: Benny just called. He has the car. He's doing finishing touches, testing windows, washing, hunting the key, etc.
Says the sun roof is not a big deal. Will need car for a day or 2 to paint that and will do whenever. If so easy, I sure wish he would have done it previously.
He said that be prepared for bugs to appear and he will take care of them if I make a list, including the paint imperfections pointed out. He said we can go through the car together this afternoon and agree on some of the obvious stuff.
I hope he takes care of most of my punchlist before I get down there, but honestly I just want the car. I know the crooked numbers/letters in back would drive me crazy

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
UPDATE: Picking it up in about 1.5 hours. Benny found the key. Carl Nelson reported that the camber plates have been fitted to over 200 coupes without problems and suggested I get a new alignment shop. Frankly, I have no idea what the camber plates do and if they are needed, etc. I will deal with later and perhaps add anti-sway bar then too. I am thinking of holding back $1000 to paint the sunroof. I think that is more than fair esp since there are at least 3 fairly obvious paint issues that require attention.

Stay tuned for pick up video and first drive, etc., along with conversation with Benny re holdback, etc.

It's almost over. Thanks so much everyone for your support.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
UPDATE: Picking it up in about 1.5 hours. Benny found the key. Carl Nelson reported that the camber plates have been fitted to over 200 coupes without problems and suggested I get a new alignment shop. Frankly, I have no idea what the camber plates do and if they are needed, etc. I will deal with later and perhaps add anti-sway bar then too. I am thinking of holding back $1000 to paint the sunroof. I think that is more than fair esp since there are at least 3 fairly obvious paint issues that require attention.

Stay tuned for pick up video and first drive, etc., along with conversation with Benny re holdback, etc.

It's almost over. Thanks so much everyone for your support.
Hold back amount seems reasonable to me. Enough to require action, but not so much that he has to shut down the shop. Can't wait to see the video!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
The camber plates are are a trivial DIY for most folks. . I could see the guys at Sears Automotive get confused, but any place that does alignments on sports/race cara would know what they are and how to install..

Holdback - if you really truely trust Benny, skip the holdback. A holdback suggests you don’t trust him.

restart

Reaction score
I have to say
This has been entertaining. I will miss Benny and Gary. I imagine there are still a couple of episodes coming.:) Add to punch list: find the exhaust leak you can hear and connect the big black hose in the engine compartment

A Friendly driving school note...
Never never not ever ever ever ever again put your arm through the steering wheel when you are driving. And did I say never.
9E55279A-3A7B-4A0C-B976-10FAD0093E69.png

I missed the tow truck driver! Where is that?

notice the trepidation of the tow guy on the flimsy
he tried to shake it around a bit haha

And one more little tease
21821EBF-977A-443D-B694-AD842A3D40FA.jpeg
500 hr if you videotape...

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have to say
This has been entertaining. I will miss Benny and Gary. I imagine there are still a couple of episodes coming.:) Add to punch list: find the exhaust leak you can hear and connect the big black hose in the engine compartment

Thanks. What exhaust leak?? What hose?

restart

Reaction score
You can hear your exhaust popping on deceleration and it the muffler tone while you are driving sounds like a leaky exhaust to me.
The hose to air cleaner.

Those poodles are hilarious. Especially the ones in the back seat with the wind blowing. How does a dog say please close the windows. Idaho must be very liberal with their distracted driving laws.:(

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can hear your exhaust popping on deceleration and it the muffler tone while you are driving sounds like a leaky exhaust to me.
The hose to air cleaner.

Those poodles are hilarious. Especially the ones in the back seat with the wind blowing. How does a dog say please close the windows. Idaho must be very liberal with their distracted driving laws.:(
Thank you. Surprise no one has said anything to me about it. I honestly like the noise but if it impacts performance I will get it fixed

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

I hope I am wrong but if they removed the chrome window sills off the door by just prying the one end above the door latch and pulling the trim up they might have bent it and it will keep bowing up at that end. They might need to try and straighten it.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
My first full day with MY BABY. I spent this am sorting things out and cleaning it up a bit. Looks a lot better when clean, but also show the many imperfections much easier when clean too. There's lots of little details that were either overlooked or just finished quickly. Seems like Benny is counting on me to point out the imperfections so he can fix them. I have a list, I'm checking it twice, and organizing it. When done, I will post here for feedback. I hope it makes things right, but there's a lot. All-in, I have $24k in fees with Benny. Much more than the $8500 driver that was quoted. I am not expecting a show quality paint job, but also not expecting the level of imperfections found. He said he would fix it, but just crossing my fingers.

I stopped by a friend of my who is a car guy to show him and get help spotting the issues. Here's the 19 min video....

THanks.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't bother watching the long video I uploaded earlier, or this one for that matter, but if you want to watch one of the two, this one is shorter, to the point, and clearer, shot in 4K and uploaded to Youtube,

together with a bunch of hi-res images too that can be viewed in this Flickr album. https://flic.kr/s/aHsmoZp7Hk

I shot the video for Benny after going through the car thoroughly with my friend who recommended Benny to begin with. He does think most of these items should be fixed and expects Benny will fix them.

Something odd happened now twice. I'd love your feedback. When I picked up the car from Benny on Thursday, he was charging the battery. I didn't think much of it until the car didn't start after I used it for a bit, but after a jump and a full charge it was fine for a bit. The problem occurred after I drove it AND used AC, but never had an issue when I drove, stop and start, without AC. Today I used AC again, and it wouldn't start, even with aux battery I have, but did start with a jump. Any ideas on what the issue may be. It is a fairly new and expensive battery. Have you ever heard of issues with AC causing some sort of issues that would explain this?

Thanks again for all your help and wish me luck on Monday with Benny. I hope and trust he takes care of all this quickly without complaints, etc.

If you think I am being unreasonable for a $25k paint plus job, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.