These People Seem Nice

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score

floridabmx

Reaction score
16v scirocco... thats hilarious. I love it. Im building a 75 rabbit and plan to do a 16v on weber 45's in it. The mk1 is my favorite car on planet earth. And the 16v is my favorite VW engine. Ive had 16v s2 as well.

I remember your car being on BAT, and I spoke highly of it in the comments. After having bought so many cars sight unseen Ive got pretty good at guessing a cars condition by the eye. And I liked what I saw with your car.

I think you did very well with a quite honest car!

We will have to share some mk1 e9 photos :)

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
16v scirocco... thats hilarious. I love it. Im building a 75 rabbit and plan to do a 16v on weber 45's in it. The mk1 is my favorite car on planet earth. And the 16v is my favorite VW engine. Ive had 16v s2 as well.

I remember your car being on BAT, and I spoke highly of it in the comments. After having bought so many cars sight unseen Ive got pretty good at guessing a cars condition by the eye. And I liked what I saw with your car.

I think you did very well with a quite honest car!

We will have to share some mk1 e9 photos :)

Like alot of things, and as reflected in their market value, you kinda had to be there to appreciate the 16V Scirocco--in the sweep of automotive history, they're probably never going to reach a concours. Love both MK1 & MK2 for different reasons. Driven Corrados, but they lost all the brutality of the Sciroccos and their brethren. To make the pre-90s Sciroccos, Rabbits and Golfs sing, you also had to be a bit brutal with the cars.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is a very helpful thread, and I've returned to it often. But right now it makes me pine too badly for a lift, which I can't address until wife decides on moving. Holding off on suspension and wheel bearing re-do in the hopes a lift is in the near future.
A lift is clearly an awesome thing to have. But, unless it's a moveable scissor lift or money is no object for you, the financial and logistical considerations are hard to justify for a single car. There are tons of things you can do with clever use of floor jacks and elevated jack stands. Suspension and wheel bearings for example.

floridabmx

Reaction score
Like alot of things, and as reflected in their market value, you kinda had to be there to appreciate the 16V Scirocco--in the sweep of automotive history, they're probably never going to reach a concours. Love both MK1 & MK2 for different reasons. Driven Corrados, but they lost all the brutality of the Sciroccos and their brethren. To make the pre-90s Sciroccos, Rabbits and Golfs sing, you also had to be a bit brutal with the cars.

The first car I ever had that got me hooked on cars was my 77 rabbit with 16v. Had a 2.0 bottom 1.8 head with some cams and other small things, but it was such a raw car.

Love this video of road and track senior editors scirocco. He’s probably driven every car imaginable and loves the car.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...-cammisa-tell-his-volkswagen-sciroccos-story/

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Driven Corrados, but they lost all the brutality of the Sciroccos and their brethren. To make the pre-90s Sciroccos, Rabbits and Golfs sing, you also had to be a bit brutal with the cars.

It is funny that you mention this. When people complain about the 1:1 5th gear in their 4spd to dogleg, I think about all of the time that I spent between 5,000 and 6,800 rpm in my 16v’s. On ramps were like a 1/4 mike drag strip. :)

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It is funny that you mention this. When people complain about the 1:1 5th gear in their 4spd to dogleg, I think about all of the time that I spent between 5,000 and 6,800 rpm in my 16v’s. On ramps were like a 1/4 mike drag strip. :)

Downshifting to 3rd in the Rocco and sliding oversteer through corners was one of my happiest places.

My E9 transmission has more leaks than a Tarantino character. I don’t have the skills or tools to pull it or do much of anything with a transmission. I was hoping not to pull it until I could have someone do 5-spd, but I can see doing that & end up including 10 other things, getting in deeper financially than I want on transmission right now. E.g., still can’t figure out what diff I have and wanted to upgrade that at same time. I have to be in Missouri next month, not too far from Metric Mech., so I might talk to them about different options. I’m kind of fascinated with the diff discussion on their website. Yes, my ADHD is poorly controlled right now.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is a flat spot on passenger side of diff below the CV joint, clean it off and you will find two numbers. 39 11 is a 3.45 which was found on the 2800CS. As a 74 you will have a 3.64 which all US 3.0s received, 40 11 if i remember correctly. If you find an S you have like mites slip. Unless you are going racing I still think an LSD is overrated for our fine grand touring coupes.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks. Looked at all the threads, but I still had trouble from the pics identifying exactly where the #s are. Need to clean off more gunk & coating.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my diff - passenger (right) side. You can see the boot of the right half shaft in the picture. As you can see, mine is 11 40, which is a 3.64 ratio. Hope this helps.
20180322-rear diff ratio.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Jay - as to leaks, check to make sure the leaks you are seeing are coming from the tranny and not from the engine. Many oil leaks will flow down and back to the transmission. In particular,a leak from the main seal on the back of the engine might appear to be a leak from the tranny as the oil would be coming out of the bell housing.

Is the level of fluid in your transmission decreasing?

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Jay - as to leaks, check to make sure the leaks you are seeing are coming from the tranny and not from the engine.
Is the level of fluid in your transmission decreasing?

Will check.

A little redundant at this point but... Stick your head behind the passenger tire. Clean the area off with a green scratchy pad.
]

I won’t admit where I was looking, but this & autokunst’s pic set me straight. I often steal Denzel’s line from Philadelphia and tell clients, “explain it to me like I’m a 4 yr old.” I thought that was to help them organize their thoughts, but perhaps it’s what I require!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I won’t admit where I was looking, but this & autokunst’s pic set me straight.
Jay, I have to admit that the pic I took of the gear ratio numbers were from my third roll under the car to find them. I was looking in the wrong locations the first two times. ;)

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello Everybody, Am new to E9 and Social Media! Joined late Sunday after a wonderful FuelFed event in Hinsdale, IL. Have a ‘73 3.5 CSI in Fjord Blue with dark blue leather interior. It’s been in the ‘stable since ‘14. Still sorting out leaks after 4 years of ownership, but getting some headway in the battle. Runs and drives very smoothly. 5 spd transmission a plus, particularly around town and in traffic. Its’ stable mate is a ‘72 Polaris Tii. Great reliving the dream after 40+ years ago in College.

Attachments

• DEED269B-70AF-4765-9459-4F85B0941699.jpeg
    DEED269B-70AF-4765-9459-4F85B0941699.jpeg
    405.3 KB · Views: 246

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello Everybody, Am new to E9 and Social Media! Joined late Sunday after a wonderful FuelFed event in Hinsdale, IL. Have a ‘73 3.5 CSI in Fjord Blue with dark blue leather interior. It’s been in the ‘stable since ‘14. Still sorting out leaks after 4 years of ownership, but getting some headway in the battle. Runs and drives very smoothly. 5 spd transmission a plus, particularly around town and in traffic. Its’ stable mate is a ‘72 Polaris Tii. Great reliving the dream after 40+ years ago in College.

Welcome. But you really should start a new thread with your story. Inserting it in the middle of a completely different one will guarantee that it will get completely lost.
Not that this thread had not been hijacked already mind you… :)

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome! I hadn’t been active on one of these forums, either, in a long time, and you’ll get the hang of creating new threads, replying, etc, in no time. Great people here, who have been super helpful to a neophyte, like me. Lots of patience for questions they’ve answered multiple times and gentle re-directions to where the answer has been previously discussed. (I’ve hijacked my own thread numerous times, because I didn’t want to stop the conversation.). You’ll get passionate opinions about cars, but even lots of patience for the few curmudgeons or space cadets as members of the family, so long as they’re not abusive. And, no politics. And now, back to green cars ...

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome. But you really should start a new thread with your story. Inserting it in the middle of a completely different one will guarantee that it will get completely lost.
Not that this thread had not been hijacked already mind you… :)
Thank you for this. Am trying to figure this Social Media thing out. Is there a “help” guide so to keep the faux pas to a minimum? Didn’t find a “post” entry to a garage item.