today only slotted rotors

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
slotted rotors? i think you mean drilled rotors that are ventilated disks or just ventilated disks. generally slotted rotors are the ones with grooves cut out to allow heat to be released such as ATE's Power Disk
ate_brake_disc2.jpg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is that a 10mm difference?

That would be 5mm on the radius side towards the caliper, no way it'd fit?

Odd that the calipers are the same.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Is that a 10mm difference?

That would be 5mm on the radius side towards the caliper, no way it'd fit?

Odd that the calipers are the same.

I have 282x22 rotors from an E23 on the front of my E3. I used the stock E3 calipers by adding a the 10mm spacers from the E23. One thing you need be wary of is that the rotors will expand in diameter when they get really hot and may impinge on the calipers. I clean up the area inside the caliper where the rotor comes close to keep this from happening.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Hmm. .not sure how 10mm spacers are needed for bigger rotors?

The stock E3 rotors are 12 mm thick and solid. The E12 and E23 rotors are 22 mm thick and vented. If you look at the E12 and E23 calipers, they are identical to the E3 calipers except there are two 10 mm spacers between the halves to accommodate the extra thickness, right where the bolts go through. There is an extra set of o-rings to seal the passages as well. If you happen upon a later E23 with the 25 mm thick rotors, there are 13 mm spacers installed. Here's a pic of some 10 mm spacers on E12 calipers:

EbWJg6b.jpg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Oh right. For some reason thought you meant wheel spacers. Right, caliper spacers were for the vented rotors

So 282mm rotors DO work? Cool.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
U.S. Ebay sellers list rear rotors for the E9 but none have them. I bought sets from different vendors only to get an email a week later saying NLA.

Wladek

Reaction score
Not so long ago i had e23 calipers for 280x25 & made comparison with 3.0CS/CSI calipers - case is almost the same, but e23 calipers have noticeably longer main caliper mounts (to fit larger rotor) & are slightly wider inside. So i am not exactly sure if it is a good idea to put e23 rotors on stock 3.0CS/CSI calipers, but after some slight mods it might work.

p.s. i was thinking of putting e23 calipers on my e9, but resigned, because of brake hoses that have different design

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
e3 doesn't use vented rotors if i am not mistaken. so the size would fit, just the calipers would have to have the spacers put into them. i saw a W+N listing for the spacers + longer hardware.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
U.S. Ebay sellers list rear rotors for the E9 but none have them. I bought sets from different vendors only to get an email a week later saying NLA.

I ran into this problem a couple of months ago. A friend of mine had a new C-Tek front rotor, and three different vendors listed the same rotor as being in stock. I bought the rotor from my buddy, and then went to find its mate. The first vendor refunded my purchase price, saying the rotor was not in stock. And when I went to the other two, they no longer showed any rotors in stock. It turns out the vendors were all referencing the same Centric warehouse, which showed inventory but did not have any of the rotors. And they are discontinued.

So, I now have an orphan rotor.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Those r the guys that refunded me after a week, saying NLA. Supposedly they take centric rotors of the right size and drill and slot them. Problem is no centric rotors exist that are the right size. Give it a try, interested to see what transpires. I ended up buying from IE.U can get from Ebay.de or dealer also.