The new BMW minivan

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Of course; most people love the modern electronics. Otherwise the car companies would not have adopted them. I would simply like the option to get a stripped down car
Oh, I'd love that option. While I accept a certain modicum of electronics that can enhance certain aspects of operating a vehicle, and am not a fan of anything that inserts itself between me and the road. I guess I am old school, and this explains why I drive old cars. An advantage is perhaps that I do not find myself broken down or stranded. And if I do have a problem, I am generally able to troubleshoot and fix it.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here in America we do almost everything not obscene while behind the wheel. For us, electronic gewgaws which keep us in our lane and off the bumper in front are welcomed conveniences. Most of us don’t look for driving engagement when picking a daily hauler. But that’s why we own cars like e9’s As our second car

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here in America we do almost everything not obscene while behind the wheel. For us, electronic gewgaws which keep us in our lane and off the bumper in front are welcomed conveniences.
I appreciate that sentiment, but I actually think it is these lane monitors and auto braking functions that are making society worse drivers. There seems to be "an app" for just about everything these days. What happened to having to pay attention to what we are doing, practice it, get better at it, and be proud. People don't have to drive everywhere. They can take public transportation, cabs, ubers, etc. Or walk, ride a bike. When did staying in your lane become an inconvenience?

Sorry, I'll get off this rant box now. :mad: I guess I am a dinosaur.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
... For us, electronic gewgaws which keep us in our lane and off the bumper in front are welcomed conveniences. ...

Unless you buy wrecked cars for a living. Come on guys, I like bad drivers! It helps me with road rage and high blood pressure when you come across an idiot driver (daily), thinking to myself, "That's okay, I'll be buying his wrecked car in a month or so!".

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unless you buy wrecked cars for a living. Come on guys, I like bad drivers! It helps me with road rage and high blood pressure when you come across an idiot driver (daily), thinking to myself, "That's okay, I'll be buying his wrecked car in a month or so!".
That's a great perspective - love it! I think that you have a very cool job (despite that other thread about Copart fakery).

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
To all the Dinosaurs,
I grew up when you had to pay attention to what you were doing behind the wheel. There were no cup holders, no heated seats, no ABS, no airbags, no belt pretensioners, and 8-track tapes autolooped (eg. no need to flip them over). These days the roads seem more dangerous than ever despite the cars being infinitely safer. So, I say bring on the modern technology and safe-driving nannies (and not a moment too soon). That's make it SAFER for the rest of us driving around in out of date antique machinery.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To all the Dinosaurs,
I grew up when you had to pay attention to what you were doing behind the wheel. There were no cup holders, no heated seats, no ABS, no airbags, no belt pretensioners, and 8-track tapes autolooped (eg. no need to flip them over). These days the roads seem more dangerous than ever despite the cars being infinitely safer. So, I say bring on the modern technology and safe-driving nannies (and not a moment too soon). That's make it SAFER for the rest of us driving around in out of date antique machinery.
Bfeng, where do you drive? People do everything obscene behind, under, around the wheel. While they are driving. The free shows one sees behind the wheel of a tall Dodge Ram are interesting to say the least.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm up here in New England with Stan, Andrew, Duane, etc. But I get to drive in a lot of places (Europe, Asia), and there's no question that Americans are by far the most distracted drivers in the world. But, honestly, I've not see obscene, just stupid stuff like reading a book...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think a lot of people will look at these warning/self braking features as a license to text more. What we need is a car that will get itself out of the left lane when the idot driver refuses to do so.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The last time I was in Germany, I spent almost a week just driving around. Mostly small, mountainous roads, but also some time on the Autobahn. When it was time to head back, there were two guys from Texas sitting at the airport (no offense to the Texans on the forum). The one guy was going on and on about how the drivers there kept changing lanes - he didn't understand why they didn't just stay in the left lane. I felt so sorry for they guy, because clearly no one ever taught him proper driving etiquette. He's lucky he didn't get run over on the Autobahn because it sounds like he was driving like a soccer mom in the fast lane the entire time (again, no offense to soccer moms in general). This guy made me embarrassed for Americans in general.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've driven the Autobahns and pulling into the left lane is not to be taken lightly, check the rearview mirror a couple times, indicate, move over, pass, and get the hell back into the right lane before a big Benz or Audi comes up to your butt from seemingly out of nowhere. I do a lot of highway driving for work and the left lane drifters are my biggest source of frustration (road rage?).

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yep, I share your frustration with the left lane drivers.
On that last trip I was driving an Audi. But it did not have the horsepower, nor did I have the stomach/guts to get into that left lane too often. Even at 180 kph, I was getting passed by MBs and Porsches like I was standing still (in the middle lane). It was kind of cool to see, but I needed a lot more car to participate at that level.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
No reason to hurry and drive like a jerk in public when you have this to look forward to (pic).
No, this is a "G" and I have a lowly "D" series.
The very definition of driving a slow car fast, and why I have no desire to own a new M series BMW.

John
(Craterface will know what I mean)

Attachments

• slowcarfast_small.jpg
    slowcarfast_small.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 97