BAT - about a 2800cs parts car

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting story about an abandoned E9. Current owner is not even sure what he has. Looks to be a 2800cs from the brakes on the trailing arms. No title or VIN. Lots of new sheetmetal installed, but has been in the rain for some time, and it's just a partial shell.
Spacers on top of the front struts make me think it's a US model.

NMNA

Ian

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
save the floors!

BMW-Shell-8.jpg

And the new rocker sheetmetal:

BMW-Shell-14.jpg

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There seems to be more metal there to my eye than some of the commenters on Barn Finds... I don't think it would be a good platform to start a restoration, but geez, someone could use some of the sheet metal on this shell. New rocker metal, solid floors - can't quite tell if the rust is just on the surface of the front end, or boring all the way through. The underside of the fenders do not look (as) rusty, so maybe more solid than we think?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
There seems to be more metal there to my eye than some of the commenters on Barn Finds... I don't think it would be a good platform to start a restoration, but geez, someone could use some of the sheet metal on this shell. New rocker metal, solid floors - can't quite tell if the rust is just on the surface of the front end, or boring all the way through. The underside of the fenders do not look (as) rusty, so maybe more solid than we think?

I kind of agree. It would make a good racecar but you are a loooong way off from a complete car. What's there seems very good though.

I'm not sure if my comment will appear or not. This is what I possted:

If I had to guess, I would say that it is 1972 BMW 3.0CS. Here is what I can gleam from the photos:
  • It has rear disks, so it's not a 2800CS
  • The rotors in the cabin may be rear rotors, the CS/CSI rears were also vented
  • It is a US spec car. The spacers on the the strut tops were mounted on the underside of the fender to bring the bumper height up to US standards (that height standard was announced in 1971 and started in 1973).
  • The car has early "slotted alloys". The 20 spoke (alpina style) wheels showed up mid '73
  • The roof panel is missing the seatbelt anchor near the grab rail. My '73 CSI (Build Oct 1972) has that nut.
  • The inner fender is missing the CSI airbox mount, adding to the CS identification
As far as value goes. The rear trailing arms with the disks are worth $600 - $800, and sell fairly quickly. The front subframe isn't all that sought after but it's worth about $200. The rockers probably aren't worth anything because you would need to cut out all the welds to reuse them. I personally would be interested in the unmolested rear parcel shelf as well as the floor pans (which also look clean), and possibly the wheel wells. I'm 'restoring' a 2800CS (aka buying stuff for a distant restoration). You can find me on the e9coupe forum, I post there every now and then.

Bavman

Reaction score
Car is local to me and I want to buy it to clip a few pieces for the Copart race car project...any idea's how to reach the owner? I left a comment with my email...

Thanks

Al Taylor

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Car is local to me and I want to buy it to clip a few pieces for the Copart race car project...any idea's how to reach the owner? I left a comment with my email...

Thanks

Al Taylor

Al,

You are the perfect candidate. I’ll kick in some sheetmetal cash if our needs don’t clash.

Bavman

Reaction score
Al,

You are the perfect candidate. I’ll kick in some sheetmetal cash if our needs don’t clash.

I need rocker, floor and lower fender pieces. Sorta need non sunroof top so would want to trade that. I am thinking this came from the same body shop that my "burned" car came from...

Also, I am selling off some metal from the 3 cars I have if there is something small and shippable you need.

Thanks

Al

Bavman

Reaction score
Can anyone see my comment, just had a friend look and could not see it....did not register with site, so want to make sure it is on there as I put my contact info...

Thanks

Al

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can anyone see my comment, just had a friend look and could not see it....did not register with site, so want to make sure it is on there as I put my contact info...

Thanks

Al

I can’t see yours or mine. The strange thing is that I could reply to someone but it was the wrong area. It appeared but I deleted it. My second two attempts failed. It may be that a moderator hasn’t approved them yet.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have posted there and it appears immediately, you submit your e-mail is all. Your comment is not there. After all the evidence I love the guy who thinks it’s a 3200CS!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have posted there and it appears immediately, you submit your e-mail is all. Your comment is not there. After all the evidence I love the guy who thinks it’s a 3200CS!

I can’t see your posting or anything by anyone knowledgeable about e9’s. I shouldn’t have Cromodora wheel last week. It’s worth $250!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After all the evidence I love the guy who thinks it’s a 3200CS!
So glad you brought this up. Yeah, that guy pulled that out of nowhere (but if its on the internet, it must be true). :) I think he just wanted to post a pic of a 3200...

Bavman

Reaction score
Ok, I thought it was a forum for people to post pictures of barn finds...they are selling classified ad's, which is fine. I put my contact in my post which I guess is not allowed...\

Al

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I posted a note for him on the Barn Finds site to show up on e9coupe.com, and mentioned that "a guy" (thinking of you, Al..) had already expressed interest and that I even had interest in some of it. My guess is that he thinks now that the wheels and diff are his ticket, and the rest, not so much. Now if he'll show up. I couldn't see a way to contact him directly either...Maybe if you know someone that's a cop that can run the tag on the red truck in the pics...