windshield seal alternatives

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been using the e3 facebook group and someone suggested using an e12 seal since they are close i size.
I figured, eh- it's $25 for one to find out.

well, it kinda fits. It's about 1/2 inch too short at the bottom and probably an inch too long on the top.
I wonder if using a heat gun would make it longer at the bottom, and I could probably cut/paste the top to make it shorter. The thing is, the e12 trim strips help lock the seal in place...

so, any feedback, suggestions, random ideas would be welcome to see what we can do.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm definitely open for new ideas, too. I can't pull my windshield and continue toward paint without a definite solution...:-(. Any windshield seals from other models that may fit? I wonder how to even search that...

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know for a fact that there aren't any later model e3 seals. any vendor that has them listed for sale, do not actually have them in stock.
I also spoke with the curator for bmwcca and he said no, too.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with BMW of South Atlanta.
BMW has a backorder system where they will do a production run on parts if there's enough orders. in the case of the late seal; 51311828248 the run number is 400.
I convinced BMWSA to just order 400, their buyer took my info and said they should have them in stock around mid march and would let me know.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Advice.
Use the seal that is correct. Or the trim and the window will not fit right and you will be chasing continuous issues.
well, yeah, usually, but
a) the late seal is exactly the same as the early, apart from a wider out lower rubber facing that uses a larger reveal moulding along that bottom edge. So for a really clean finished look, it requires the fatter lower reveal moulding pieces including the corners. In all other ways it fits the glass and body the same.
b) the earlier seal is completely and will probably remain unavailable.
c) IF the late seal is made, that will be a good thing.
d) My guestimate for availablility is 12-18 months, with cost close to 500 bucks.
e) Just hope they don't farm it out to Uro or some other crapmaker-of-things-that-look-like-the-part-you-need.

MatthewCervi

Reaction score
So...if they make a run of the late seal, will they also make a run of the correct lower trim and corner pieces? As far as I can tell those are also not available so I'll still have a problem.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
Use the seal that is correct. Or the trim and the window will not fit right and you will be chasing continuous issues.
okay, but what do you do when there is NONE?
what do the old hotrodders do when nobody has made a part they need for like 40 years?

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
So...if they make a run of the late seal, will they also make a run of the correct lower trim and corner pieces? As far as I can tell those are also not available so I'll still have a problem.
honestly, I have no idea. but I know theres a lot of parts cars out there with the trim pieces, but not usable rubber.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with BMW of South Atlanta.
BMW has a backorder system where they will do a production run on parts if there's enough orders. in the case of the late seal; 51311828248 the run number is 400.
I convinced BMWSA to just order 400, their buyer took my info and said they should have them in stock around mid march and would let me know.

Oh wow! Nice move on that one! I sure hope this comes through.. Thanks for pushing them on that!