The Vintage

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The Vintage was a really nice event when it was smaller in scale. Last year, it became quite a bit larger, and the organizers of the event parked people in rows as they arrived, in order to encourage us to "mingle." Given that there was no cell service at the venue, it was difficult to meet up with other e9 folks. I am on the fence about whether to go back if this is not fixed. I wrote to Scott about this today:

Hi Scott -- are you planning to respond to the numerous requests to enable clustered parking of various specific models at your event. You had a large proportion of the active e9coupe.com people in attendance last year, and we were uniformly disappointed about the parking arrangements. Several of us wrote to you with constructive comments. Most of us did not get a response.

Please let me know, one way or another.

Cheers,

Chris Ohmes (Ohmess on the forums)

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Got a prompt reply from Scott. Unfortunately, he rejected the suggestion:

Chris,

It is extremely difficult to do so. We did it for several years when there were only a few hundred cars so we know from experience. A LOT of experience.

Scott

So, what alternative events should we be planning to attend?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm still attending The Vintage in 2018 with Athena. I attend to see friends in the hotel parking lot and do the backroad drives. The best way to park together is arrive as a group.

That being said, I was disappointed with the 2017 event. I didn't have enough time on Saturday to see all the cars or spend time with friends I wanted to see.

Not miss events for 2018.
Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, July 9-15, BMW CCA OktoberFest & BMW Classic CCA Tour. PVGP is actually July 1-15. pvgp.org
Lime Rock Historic Festival, Labor Day Weekend
Vintage at Saratoga, Date to be Determined
BavAuto Show & Shine, Date to be Determined
SoCal Vintage, November 2018

Bejoe16

Reaction score
I will be there for 2018 although my e9 will be far from completed. As an organizer I can see how it would be difficult to set certain areas for specific models especially with 5-800 cars. I like the idea of us setting a place and time to meet and drive in at the same time to park as a group. Maybe Scott will entertain this idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Andrew -- thanks for the list. I love the PVGP and plan to attend again this year. I didn't make Saratoga last year I think because it was the weekend before the PVGP. Your list highlights another advantage of the Vintage; it is an early event that hits about the time I am longing to go for a drive.

I am actually on the fence about the Vintage. I like that area of the country, enjoyed the parking lot, and loved the place we rented. We did set up a meet and drive last year, and that got about eight or nine of us together, but people who had a slight delay, folks who are not active on the forum, people who arrived the day of the event and those with mechanical issues were scattered hither and yon. And as we drove in they ushered us past a nice line of e3s all parked together, with lots of room for stragglers.

If we try this again in 2018, we probably should provide a longer window for people to meet up in order to enable a large gathering of e9 people. And if this means we arrive fashionably late, well, I've been known to do that.

TodB

Reaction score
My newest car friends, Brett Sutton and his wife Dee, both of Allegheny CCA chapter fame, just moved down the street from us here in Saint Augustine, literally 1/4 mile away. Given that I now also have a 2002 (two actually, I have another soon to be for sale if you are looking for a nice Fjord '76 - shameless plug), it looks like I may need to make the pilgrimage to Pittsburgh in my 2002 though a bit of work remains. Thinking about car training from Orlando to DC (my Son is there) and then driving on to Pittsburgh which sounds better than 13 hours each way in a buzzy 2002. No decision yet on the Vintage, 2018, though I did enjoy event last year, the drive there and back, and of course, seeing E9 friends.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tod, I know Brett & Dee pretty well, glad you've met them. A-train is a great way to get North then over to the 'Burgh. If your '02 is too buzzy (Ansa), get a stainless Sebring from Walloth-Nesch, much better than the raspy Ansa Sport that came on Vern. Hope to see you in July if not sooner.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
My newest car friends, Brett Sutton and his wife Dee, both of Allegheny CCA chapter fame, just moved down the street from us here in Saint Augustine, literally 1/4 mile away. Given that I now also have a 2002 (two actually, I have another soon to be for sale if you are looking for a nice Fjord '76 - shameless plug), it looks like I may need to make the pilgrimage to Pittsburgh in my 2002 though a bit of work remains. Thinking about car training from Orlando to DC (my Son is there) and then driving on to Pittsburgh which sounds better than 13 hours each way in a buzzy 2002. No decision yet on the Vintage, 2018, though I did enjoy event last year, the drive there and back, and of course, seeing E9 friends.

Tod -- Let me know if you want to coordinate travel from the DC area to the PVGP. We have a small caravan already, but could always incorporate an esteemed colleague.

TodB

Reaction score
Tod -- Let me know if you want to coordinate travel from the DC area to the PVGP. We have a small caravan already, but could always incorporate an esteemed colleague.
OK, I'll let you know if I know of anyone esteemed. I'd have to set the pace of course :).

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
OK, I'll let you know if I know of anyone esteemed. I'd have to set the pace of course :).

I had forgotten about your propensity to put your foot in it. The last time this topic came up I just behind you, but the group become somewhat spread out and after we came to a halt and watched the rescue helicopter land on the highway in front of us somebody asked if I knew where you were.

TodB

Reaction score
We weren't going THAT fast thought I do recall a Cadillac whiteish coupe in my mirror the whole time. My 2002 is a different story. 70-75 MPH is the optimal cruise. I'll do my best to keep up.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had a hard time keeping up with you and Mario through the hills of NC so I've seen it first hand also.

We weren't going THAT fast thought I do recall a Cadillac whiteish coupe in my mirror the whole time. My 2002 is a different story. 70-75 MPH is the optimal cruise. I'll do my best to keep up.

Adkfrank

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm still attending The Vintage in 2018 with Athena. I attend to see friends in the hotel parking lot and do the backroad drives. The best way to park together is arrive as a group.

That being said, I was disappointed with the 2017 event. I didn't have enough time on Saturday to see all the cars or spend time with friends I wanted to see.

Not miss events for 2018.
Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, July 9-15, BMW CCA OktoberFest & BMW Classic CCA Tour. PVGP is actually July 1-15. pvgp.org
Lime Rock Historic Festival, Labor Day Weekend
Vintage at Saratoga, Date to be Determined
BavAuto Show & Shine, Date to be Determined
SoCal Vintage, November 2018
No BavAuto or Vintage at Saratoga in 2018. Both will return in 2019.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My first attendance at the Vintage in Asheville was 2017 as well. I had the same feeling regarding the random distribution of cars that Ohmess had. Unfortunately, the pending major health issue I experienced in June was impinging on me at the Vintage. I'm sure that was a major factor in limiting my enjoyment of such a large gathering (also being a rookie, of course - ha). Really did enjoy meeting about a dozen e9 owners in the one group, however.

I will always remember the drive down, going up the TN portion of 'The Tail of the Dragon'. As much fun as many of the race tracks I loved to drive a few years back.

Haven't signed up for 2018 Vintage yet, probably won't since the parking randomness is set to continue. Disappointed that Saratoga is now postponed until 2019. Gotta' make it back to PVGP now (with the e9, rather than the 928GTS I drove in 2015!). In my opinion, meets and getting to know other owners with similar interests is a major part of the enjoyment of the 'old car' hobby.

Gary