Windshield Gaskets

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb question, but what are the years for the 'first series' and 'second series' E3? I have a 73, but I need to confirm my build date...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb question, but what are the years for the 'first series' and 'second series' E3? I have a 73, but I need to confirm my build date...

If the trim below the windshield is the same width as the other two trim pieces you have the "early" style, later style has a wider trim piece below the glass with wider corner trim pieces too.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Damn... Any updates on this? Looks like my car is an early one..probably late 12/72-1/73... what are my options here? I'd love to take my front and rear windshields out to prep for paint asap..if these are nla for good, I'll have to paint with windows in place?? and not replace my headliner!? That would be not happy times...:-(..

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Damn... Any updates on this? Looks like my car is an early one..probably late 12/72-1/73... what are my options here? I'd love to take my front and rear windshields out to prep for paint asap..if these are nla for good, I'll have to paint with windows in place?? and not replace my headliner!? That would be not happy times...:-(..
Hi Stephen, here are the options that will meet your needs for glass/headliner out refinish:
1) purchase the later windshield gasket, the one that IS still available. Whether you were planning to use your old trim or not, you will need to be sure and purchase the bottom trim strip and two corner pieces for the later model car. The other side/top pieces are the same for early/late....The bottom trim on the late cars is maybe 3/16" fatter-looking but with the proper corners (and of course, the windshield seal that is designed for it) it will look absolutely fine and be a wonderful finish to your E3. If you get that piece be sure to include it with the others when you send to the polisher, or else buy all new pieces so they match.
2) I believe I do have a very fresh, never-installed EARLY windshield seal for E3 in the fabled stash (no I didn't dump everything during the SSR holocaust) but would have to do extensive storage digging to locate it. I only mention this as an option for you if you absolutely do not want that 3/16" fatter trim along the bottom of your glass.

Hopefully knowing there are options like these will renew your path to happy times with a refinished Bav....

You can pm me for details/coaching/cheerleading

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Stephen, here are the options that will meet your needs for glass/headliner out refinish:
1) purchase the later windshield gasket, the one that IS still available. Whether you were planning to use your old trim or not, you will need to be sure and purchase the bottom trim strip and two corner pieces for the later model car. The other side/top pieces are the same for early/late....The bottom trim on the late cars is maybe 3/16" fatter-looking but with the proper corners (and of course, the windshield seal that is designed for it) it will look absolutely fine and be a wonderful finish to your E3. If you get that piece be sure to include it with the others when you send to the polisher, or else buy all new pieces so they match.
2) I believe I do have a very fresh, never-installed EARLY windshield seal for E3 in the fabled stash (no I didn't dump everything during the SSR holocaust) but would have to do extensive storage digging to locate it. I only mention this as an option for you if you absolutely do not want that 3/16" fatter trim along the bottom of your glass.

Hopefully knowing there are options like these will renew your path to happy times with a refinished Bav....

You can pm me for details/coaching/cheerleading

PM'd! Thanks!

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I obviously have the wrong one, need the later version it seems. If someone needs the first I will sell for $100

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I obviously have the wrong one, need the later version it seems. If someone needs the first I will sell for $100
if you haven't sold it yet, I desperately need it. I had to cut my old one out for rust repairs and now I cant find another. anywhere.

Baikallackierung

Reaction score
I'm about ready to spread out a gallon of BlackJack roofing tar on my shields and sent a pic to Munich. Come on BMW! Maybe they could back off of having 10 different series and support the cars they built. On the hunt for a US spec. 1972 Bavaria small lower trim seal.

Fredomatic

Reaction score
Baikallackierung, I feel your pain! The early model windshield seal is nearly impossible to find. After a year of searching, I found the early model rear seal from a guy in Jakarta. I ended up installing the later model seal in the front and sourcing the later trim. The later seal fits but not perfectly. There is a little wrinkle in the lower corners and the top lip (inside) isn't wide enough to span the 1/2" gap to the headliner. It's not perfect but better than being stuck in a garage going nowhere. I have an extra late model front seal if needed.

Frederick

Attachments

• BMW 2500 headliner seal fitment.jpg
    BMW 2500 headliner seal fitment.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 167

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The narrow strip is available as far as I know in Germany right now

Windscreen seal BMW series E3 2500 - 3.0 Si narrow strip NEW!
Windscreen seal BMW series E3 2500 - 3.0 Si narrow strip NEW!