I don't ride motorcycles... but if I did...

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a great bike. My neighbor down the street has a '72 as well as a '76 2002. I'd go for it myself, but I'm in TX.

Ian

steve in reno

Reaction score
I understand your reluctance to ride. As a 50 year rider I just quit for the exact reason stated. If you touch anything ...you lose
My roommate, fresh from Germany, had brought back that same model. A great ride

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was thinking it might be cool to have one that you could trailer to spots like national parks and just tool around, but yes, I agree between other drivers, junk in the road, and in my case- absent mindedness death and dismemberment surely will be high on the menu. The roads and the drivers are so much different than the "old days".

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was thinking it might be cool to have one that you could trailer to spots like national parks and just tool around, but yes, I agree between other drivers, junk in the road, and in my case- absent mindedness death and dismemberment surely will be high on the menu. The roads and the drivers are so much different than the "old days".
A long time ago when things were supposedly safer and saner I had two friends killed within a year. Haven't gotten on a bike since. I wince when I pass a helmetless rider since the PA State Legislature, in its infinite wisdom(most call it stupidity) cancelled the "helmet required" law a couple of years ago.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I pined for that bike back when I had a new RD 400. A friend bought a high mile example and I got t0 sample it. Sure had a clunky gearbox. I got an extended ride on some pretty good streetbikes this spring. A KTM 690 Duke and afterwards a KTM Super Duke GT . 1290 CC of Fury on an adventure bike. Too much Fury really.

Hoping to buy this bike when I hit 60 in a bit over a year.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pU2MwMOyBWE/maxresdefault.jpg

In the mean time, I am tempting fate with this bike (bought this Spring)
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/2016_Yamaha_YZ250X-04.jpg?378220

Hard to hit a car with it, easy to hit a fast moving tree.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My brother has a gorgeous '78 R100S. I help my buddy work on his vintage Yamaha. I really like working on bikes, but there is no way I would buy one. I have broken both my collar bones at various times mountain biking at high speeds on singletrack. I've concluded that I am not skilled on two wheels and should stick to cars. :D

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I understand your reluctance to ride. As a 50 year rider I just quit for the exact reason stated. If you touch anything ...you lose.

My dad, a neurosurgeon, who owned a Honda 350cc bike back in the day, said that by the time y0u are old enough (mature enough) to ride a bike, your reflexes aren't fast enough. At age 58, I've recently gotten a Honda CX500 to tinker with. Shaft drive, water cooled. Transverse mounted V-Twin engine. Although I'll ride it some, It's actually a test bed for the NOS still-in-the-crate-from-Japan CX500 engine I bought off eBay a few years back that I want to make into a Morgan three wheeler replica. That's a project that will come after the E9 is restored.

Ian

79CX500.jpg
053.JPG

steve in reno

Reaction score
I recently sold my 1983 gl650. only year for that v-twin.
Owned a 1980 cx. Bullet proof.
So you were the one that bought that crate motor.
Was a major topic on the cx forum at the time.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
My whole journey down this path was started when I read an article about the JZR Morgan replica kits and then saw a CX650 engine for sale on Maui for $25. It was interesting to tinker with while I bought parts for the build. Then I found the CX500 crate motor, bought the E9, but decided to move to Texas. I gave the CX650 motor to a school for their shop class and shipped the crate motor and E9 to Austin.

I hadn't found the CX forum yet, so didn't know about the other interest in the motor. I've mentioned it in my now stalled build blog and have gotten half a dozen offers to buy it.

Ian

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
What are your plans deQuincey ?
I'm seriously tempted to do a scrambler using a R100
r100.jpeg

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
i will keep her almost stock for now
i like some of those scrambler and cafe racer looks, but maybe later, this example is a really low km (only 18.000) and one owner before me
i would appreciate ideas ;-)

What model and year have you got ?
Good to know I've got a source of knowledge now !

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
What model and year have you got ?
Good to know I've got a source of knowledge now !

you are welcome
this is a 1982 R45/N, the Little one

i have started the "dequincey-ation" process by adding a voltmeter,...you know, i couldn´t resist measuring the working parameters...
voltmeter is original OEM, but the alu support is home made... :)

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score

Very nice deQuincey, how are they to ride?
I had an -81 Honda CB900F once, and considering it was old and heavy, it was still pretty fun to ride.
But as usual I couldn’t keep my fingers from it, so I went through every nut and bolt and made a GP-replica out of it;)

17E8D52A-9A26-49FF-A2AD-5A391072E566.jpeg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Very nice deQuincey, how are they to ride?
I had an -81 Honda CB900F once, and considering it was old and heavy, it was still pretty fun to ride.
But as usual I couldn’t keep my fingers from it, so I went through every nut and bolt and made a GP-replica out of it;)

View attachment 32403
wow
i am not an expert in honda, but that bike looks very nice, Robert
the r45 is very nice to drive, old fashioned and heavy, yes but fine, i love it
love the rummble, the sound, the feeling of the cardan transmission, the simplicity of the side carbs, and is not ugly, eh ?
Btw, sending you my blessings and appreciations from Helsinki right now ;-)