Super fast request

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I posted this here since allot of folks don't look in the classified section and I need the strangest of pieces; this would be for someone with a completely junked car as I need a 1 foot section of the transmission tunnel which includes the area where the shift lever goes through. If anyone "just happens to have one laying around" please let me know. Where's Mr. Haney when you need him?

Thanks folks!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Peter,

Let's chat via PM. I just happento have a nearly complete shell in my garage.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Peter,

I wanted to reply here for transparency and to give others a chance to offer the parts also. You may check with @Bmwphatpat as he has access to a shell. There is also a fire roasted shell in the classifieds but the owner hasn't been responsive. You can also check with @GK-E30M3. I think that Chris has too much heart to take a cutoff wheel to his cajun car. Perhaps he will chime in. :D

I can sell the tunnel parts for $100. Honestly, most of that is time and consumables (and personal risk, I got metal in my eye last week). The money goes to paying down the $10K I have invested in my rusty project car. It's not a "budget resto" if I don't reduce that number. :)

Hopefully you feel that is fair. IMO I'm still riding the wave of good karma with the pristine dashboard with "free speaker cover" that I sold you. ;)

FYI - The shell isn't for sale. I cut the nose off two weeks ago. Perhaps you will be hanging it on the wall of your warehouse this winter, once my little art project is done. FWIW, the sum of the shell parts are worth more than the shell. With the rear fenders, roof, tail panel, and nose - I still have $2K of sheet metal to sell.

If you are truly interested in a shell, the $6K one in the classifieds is a good deal IMO.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think that Chris has too much heart to take a cutoff wheel to his cajun car.

I can sell the tunnel parts for $100. Honestly, most of that is time and consumables (and personal risk, I got metal in my eye last week).

I have cut cars apart with several methods. The gas torch works well, but setting things on fire is a drawback and the gas is kind of expensive these days. A sawzall works well, but is noisy and can't get into corners or tight spaces. I haven't used my cutoff tool on a car yet, but it seems like it also has corner issues.

My newest go-to tool is the plasma torch from Eastwood. My compressor (needed to blow away the melted steel) is a bit noisy but in tests, the torch has cut steel like butter. Yes, you can still set undercoating on fire, but less than a gas torch and since you'll be wearing protective goggles, you won't get any metal in your eye.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I always wear safety glasses but sometimes the cutoff wheel sends so much material flying that stuff can bounce into your face. I actually had good lunch with a jigsaw on my nose flip. A bit more manageable than the reciprocating saw.

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Peter, tony.dreamer is a gentleman that has a few E9s and has a shop in Oklahoma, he is also on the forum.
My suggestion was if you could not find the part you need contact Tony, looks like Mr. markos has what you need, if not let me know and I will send you his contact info.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I cut through 160 inches of 1/8 in box section with a plasma torch on Monday. Did not have sufficient clean air to breathe. Had a sore throat one hour later and a cold that night. Should know better than that. One thing about plasma torches in your hand is that they can get away from you quickly and you end up with a sloppy cut. My torch went through 160 inches in about a minute and a half

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think one of those air powered small hacksaws would work very well. A Sawzall would also get the job done.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had good luck with the reciprocating saw recently...

37035477225_356c5ec99f_b.jpg

Last edited: