Brake pad experience... revisited

Garrett

Site Donor
Reaction score
Having searched the archives, PBR (Repco/Axxis) Deluxe seemed to be the go-to brake pad for low dust and good performance ... however now unavailable.

So time to check in again with the community for experience, recommendations, and sources. I've seen Centric, ATE, Raybestos, Bosch, Wagner, Beck-Arnley, OP Performance on various websites. Mesa Performance is selling the OPs, semi-metallic and made in China but they've had no issues or negative feedback.

In my case, I'm looking for a good balance of daily-driver performance and low dust.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like Mesa a lot but I had these pads and they threw tons of dust. Like, have to clean after each drive dust.

Mesa Performance is selling the OPs, semi-metallic and made in China but they've had no issues or negative feedback..

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I recently installed a set of Porterfield APB2 brake pads, and although they are not dust free, they are very low on the dust level.

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/search.php

This is about 150 miles of driving.

Wheel.jpg

Garrett

Site Donor
Reaction score
I recently installed a set of Porterfield APB2 brake pads, and although they are not dust free, they are very low on the dust level.
View attachment 30908

Sounds like a great company serving a performance market, priced accordingly ($150 fr+rr). May be overkill for my purposes.

Garrett

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm stumped after looking for recommendations, reviews or ratings across every platform I can find.

-Axxis/PBR/Repco: Unavailable
-Porterfield: Big $$
-Textar: Shying away from the OE because I see lots of comments that they throw a bunch of dust
-Jurid/Pagid/ATE: Dusty from the what little comments I can pick up
-Centric Post-Quiet: Seems like a good option but rear only available
-Stop Tech: Dusty
-Wagner: No reviews
-Beck Arnley: No reviews, rear only
-Bosch: No reviews
-Hawk: Pricey, track oriented

Does anyone like what they have that is available matching front/rear, without breaking (pun intended) the bank?

If not I guess I'm going with the Textars...

Honolulu

Reaction score
Have put several sets of Textar on the wife's '98 C280 Benz. If I don't wash the wheels weekly they are solid black. Dustiest pads ever.

I don't see BMW/stock pads on the list...howcum, or are they the Jurid pads?

Maybe you could get Axxis on ebay or amazon? I'd do that.

Garrett

Site Donor
Reaction score
Textar is the OE.

Axxis running scarce on eBay at the moment.

02coastie

Site Donor
Reaction score
What about EBC Greenstuff? DP2753/2 There's a review on the site here. I have a set waiting to go on as soon as I get new rotors.

Garrett

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are the EBC compatible with stock calipers? If the 2753/2 are front (website says they fit a 2002Tii so should fit the E9 though they say it doesn't), what have you found for the rear?

Garrett

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just wanted to close the loop on this one. The PBR/Axxis are back in stock at Import Replacement Parts (ImportRP.com). Takes a bit of cross referencing to get the right pads.

I went with the Tii pads for the front (45-0082ED)

77 630 CSi for the rear (45-0164ED/1)

Hope they'll work, will report back if there's any issues.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So did they have these in stock? I remember trying to order from them a while ago and although listed, they didn't have them.

Just wanted to close the loop on this one. The PBR/Axxis are back in stock at Import Replacement Parts (ImportRP.com). Takes a bit of cross referencing to get the right pads.

I went with the Tii pads for the front (45-0082ED)

77 630 CSi for the rear (45-0164ED/1)

Hope they'll work, will report back if there's any issues.

Garrett

Site Donor
Reaction score
So did they have these in stock? I remember trying to order from them a while ago and although listed, they didn't have them.

Saw the same thing, when I tried to order it put them on the wish list. So I called and they got back to me saying they were back in stock at the San Diego warehouse. They have updated the site to allow you to order them online.

Garrett

Site Donor
Reaction score

Spoke too soon. IRP just called to say the pads are back ordered, no ETA. Apologies for getting hopes up.

I'll try the EBC Greenstuff pads and report back.

Last edited:

Garrett

Site Donor
Reaction score
Folks,

Thought I'd just report back after 1,000 or so miles on the EBC Greenstuff pads. Install was perfect, no issues. Brakes are quiet and progressive, no squeaks whatsoever. Brake dust is a little better than stock, easy to clean off. All my driving has been around town or highway, so can't speak to fade resistance or other performance characteristics, though I did lock them up last weekend to avoid a shunt with another car.

Overall I would recommend.