Replacement for original Saddle leather seats

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone seen or used the "pigskin saddle" 916 at GAHH. Looks like the same one World Upholstery used to carry in their E9 seat kit

Attachments

• IMG_7492.PNG
    IMG_7492.PNG
    745.2 KB · Views: 169

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a close-up of the front seat of my 72 3.0 CS. Some of the coupes had this "pigskin" leather. It may be a bit more orange than the GAHH sample.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 190

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Anyone seen or used the "pigskin saddle" 916 at GAHH. Looks like the same one World Upholstery used to carry in their E9 seat kit
Hi Bez.
I can't remember for sure if the Covers I saw were leather or vinyl,but there on Ebay.Check it out.
Harr

t-spoon

Reaction score
I just picked some up this week. It is the closest I have seen yet to the saddle pigskin in my 72. The color accuracy of this shot is not great.... Second shot shows color better.
DSC03670.jpg
DSC03677.jpg

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just picked some up this week. It is the closest I have seen yet to the saddle pigskin in my 72. The color accuracy of this shot is not great.... Second shot shows color better.View attachment 31039 View attachment 31040

Can u please be more specific...what (916 saddle)? Where (GAHH)? How much?

In that second picture...is the whole seat (front and back) the material you bought?

Thanks

t-spoon

Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of clarity. Yes, it is Salerno Leather, 916 Saddle from GAHH. it was $22 per sq ft. All shots of the seats are the original leather, nothing has been redone yet.

Here are a couple more shots.

IMG_1441.JPG
IMG_1443.JPG

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Bez,
There is a seller on Ebay selling complete leather sets made up for $1095. The seller goes by the Ebay name zoomzoomzoom-ing .
There I a set that color but not sure what grain of leather.
Koopman

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
at that price per SF, that better be cut to size with no waste. i can buy full hides with exotic finishes for 12 to 15 bucks / sf. normal finishes 7 to 12 / sf. but, there is a reasonable amount of waste in a whole hide ... hard to get much usable area out of a cow's legs or the taper down to it. then there are those things like the occasional barbed wire hole.

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott

Any chance u can source the material at GAHH for less?

It is a very close pattern match. After recovering the driver seat...i can buy leatherique or leatherworldtechnologies dye that matches original color and redye everything

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott

Any chance u can source the material at GAHH for less?

It is a very close pattern match. After recovering the driver seat...i can buy leatherique or leatherworldtechnologies dye that matches original color and redye everything

Bez - simple answer - NOPE. if this is the leather you want, ask them how they sell it. does it come as a whole hide or is it into rough cut pieces. i have sent you a PM on the subject

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
T-spoon,
Do I understand well that you are considering to reskin you seats? If so, would you be willing to try and save & sell the seat- and headrest covers to me? From looking at your pics, I think I can use (parts of) your covers to fix mine. Our seats are of same construction, and left the factory being the same colour >40 Years ago.

I'm someone going for max originality and so i'd like to retain as much parts as possible. I have some ripped panels in my seats; I'd like to see if i can have an artisan upholsterer detach all sewing lines and to try sew them back to make 1 set out of two used ones. I know that having acceptable matching coulours (due to fading etc) will be a gamble however, i know.

Regards, Erik.

Last edited:

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
Min purchase is half-hide at GAHH.

I contacted Bob Budd at Classic 9 Leather Shop who Gary Knox knows regarding sourcing the Salerno Saddle 916. He responded that it is sold by half-hide or full-hide. A half-hide (25 sq. Ft) is $450 or $18 per sq. ft. Shipping to Cali is $35. If anyone else is interested....let me know so we can get a lower price by buying larger quantity.

Classic 9 Leather Shop
7250 Drexel St
Dearborn Heights, Michigan 48127
313 682 1983
Fax 313 483 3739

Last edited:

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
T-spoon,
Do I understand well that you are considering to reskin you seats? If so, would be willing to try and save & sell the seat- and headrest covers for me? From looking at your pics, I think I can use (parts of) your covers to fix mine. Our seats are of same construction, and left the factory being the same colour >40 Years ago.

I'm someone going for max originality and so i'd like to retain as much parts as possible. I have some ripped panels in my seats; I'd like to see if i can have an artisan upholsterer detach all sewing lines and to try sew them back to make 1 set out of two used ones. I know that having acceptable matching coulours (due to fading etc) will be a gamble however, i know.

Regards, Erik.

I wanted to do the same thing. BMWayne redid his but his upholster did not take care and tore all the large piece and they were useless. I haven't been able to find anyone else who recovered their old saddle. Anyone??

rbtrader

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would be interested in buying enough of the saddle pigskin to recover the front seats. If anyone organizes a group buy, please let me know. Rich