Door hinge pin

Rek

Reaction score
I have excessive movement on the door hinge on the drivers side, and slightly less on the passenger side.

Are there any new door hinge pins that can be bought as this was the case with a previous MB restoration I undertook.

Looking at the RealOEM it doesn't seems to be a separate part and searching the web and the forum doesn't reveal much of interest. if I have missed something, then please point me in the right direction.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have this issue too. There's a loud clacking as the door opens and the stay pops against the pin.
I think the best thing is to make a bushing that takes up the slack. I believe that some people have successfully used a hard plastic, but I was thinking that brass would work well.

Rek

Reaction score
I have that issue too, but what I am enquiring is about the door hinge rather than the door brake.
I don't know what other members have done here as this is a common problem with older cars. Perhaps there is no replacement and I need to buy the complete hinge.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I used a hard plastic spacer that was originally designed as a stand off for an electronic daughter board to sit on top of a mother board.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
is it the door hinge or the door brake that is clacking?

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had the hinges on my 635 rebored and pins made to fit at a local machine shop. Better than the new price and better than going used and having one that is marginal and put you back to square one shortly. Cost IIRC was $180 and they are a tice snug fit

Rek

Reaction score
I had the hinges on my 635 rebored and pins made to fit at a local machine shop. Better than the new price and better than going used and having one that is marginal and put you back to square one shortly. Cost IIRC was $180 and they are a tice snug fit
Thanks, thats interesting. I might try to have that done.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
In my memory, correct me if i'm wrong, the mentioned pin is the cilindrical part, roughly 5 mm diameter and 25 mm long with a small head, located close to the body?
If that is what your looking for, I think that something quite similar should be available as a standard part here in the EU.
Now this is a pin that has one notch /groove running the lentgh. These are intended to jam and stick in place.
So they would require that you file of the notch and make it round again.

But here's the good part; the're yours for roughly 14 cents a piece.
I think there might be stainless steel versions as well.

Attachments

• door hinge pin std part suggestion.png
    door hinge pin std part suggestion.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's a great idea. Unfortunately the pin has to be sized to the hole or visa versa. There is also a large possibility the hole in the hinge hasn't worn evenly.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bert, these pins are also available in 6 mm versions. Would that allow to hone the worn holes (bodyside)?
6*25 mm and 6*30 mm pins are 17 and 30 cents each.

If combined with the Mercedes door brake, would it also negate the need for plastic sleeve around the pin? I'm not sure of the inner diameter of the end of the arm of the MB door brake; I've see a picture of them in a thread somewhere and the inner diameter appeared to be 7 or 8 mm.

I didn't break my doorbrakes yet, so I have no MB part to check.

Last edited:

Rek

Reaction score
In my memory, correct me if i'm wrong, the mentioned pin is the cilindrical part, roughly 5 mm diameter and 25 mm long with a small head, located close to the body?
If that is what your looking for, I think that something quite similar should be available as a standard part here in the EU.
Now this is a pin that has one notch /groove running the lentgh. These are intended to jam and stick in place.
So they would require that you file of the notch and make it round again.

But here's the good part; the're yours for roughly 14 cents a piece.
I think there might be stainless steel versions as well.

Thanks for this. I will take a look for something similar here in the UK.