WTB: M30B34

jamesw

Reaction score
I'm looking into doing a motor upgrade into my 2800 Sahara. Does anyone have a short block or a long block for sale? I already have a Getrag 265 with M30 bell housing installed to my engine now. I have triple Webers so will probably stick with those so I don't need the full induction set-up if it's not available.

And I can always settle for a B35 if there's a good one available.

Thanks!
James

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
James,

why do you want a b34? unless its a euro b34 ... hard to find in the USA, but well worth it if you do. the b35 is a better idea than the stock US b34 (very low compression)

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm looking into doing a motor upgrade into my 2800 Sahara. Does anyone have a short block or a long block for sale? I already have a Getrag 265 with M30 bell housing installed to my engine now. I have triple Webers so will probably stick with those so I don't need the full induction set-up if it's not available.

Thanks!
James

i will have a complete overhauled M30 B30 for sale after summer hollidays, i only need a reason to complete it ( a Little push like when someone needs it will do )

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I see 12 omissions and 2 mistakes in that chart in 2 minutes.
Be careful what you read.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I see 12 omissions and 2 mistakes in that chart in 2 minutes.
Be careful what you read.

I definitely see lots of omissions. It's wikipedia. Perhaps we should update it! I need to take better notes when we talk! :D

2002sue

Reaction score
Hi James,
I read your post and thought I would let you know that I have a very clean 160k 1986 M30B34 w/ excellent compression and leak down. I also has a newly installed $280 Teflon pan gasket crank scraper.

shipping is not a problem via ForwardAir.

My Ebay and internet handle have been 2002sue since 1999 and I've specialized in vintage BMW cars and parts since 1992.

Please feel free to contact me any time if I can help with any of your vintage BMW part needs.

Thanks for the interest in vintage BMW's and take care.

Mark Radovan
2002sue
tel(831)535-3710

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Thanks!
James

Do you have access to a trailer? Here is a B35 with a 735il wrapped around it for $1,500. Regardless of year or platform, seven series don't sell when they are drive-able - let alone broken. The ad has been up for 30 days. I would offer $700 firm. If they disagree, remind that that it will easily be $2,000 plus in parts and labor for a shop to swap in a rebuilt auto trans. Engine has 185K on it. I rarely see M30 cars from the 80's with less than 150K on them. Most are around 200k. At least with this one you have an odometer reading...

https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/cto/6021111226.html

Note that you need motor mount adapters with the e32 blocks. They are readily available though...

jamesw

Reaction score
Good point - WTB Euro M30B34 or US M30B35

I'm looking for a motor on a pallet with known history or an already rebuilt motor.

Cheers
James

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my advice is to start a conversation with our friend SFDon. I am in the middle of that process right now with a euro b34. you can also look at m90's (i think Don has one or two m90 blocks available). the euro b34 is rare, the b35 is very prevalent.
Don can do the whole thing, he can collect the engine, do all of the machine work, etc. and ship it to you.

in regard to the b34 on ebay - yes, its inexpensive and appears to be all there ... but it has less horsepower and compression than your current engine. my coupe came with a US b34 ... and its getting removed this summer by Don. please don't spend money only to disappoint yourself. the compression is 160 psi +/- per cylinder ... the euro b34 Don got for me was 210 psi / cylinder. huge difference.

a b35 has approx. 9:1 and i think the m90 has 9.3:1

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Having just seen this thread, and having that M30 for sale, I would like to just say the following: The M30 is more about torque rather than high revving power. Therefore the difference in performance over stock US and stock Euro is not massive. We are talking 30HP. A shave of the head will get you the extra compression if wanted OR you can just rest assured that the lower compression motor will keep running just fine for many many many more miles. I just bought a 635csi and it is not discernably slower than what I remember my father's 635csi to have been when he had his in Australia (euro spec). Bear in mind also the cars in Europe did not run cats, so by decatting the motor, you will make up some of that power. Therefore I think these factors should be considered too. I would also point out that what I am asking for a complete removed motor, wiring, ancilliaries and demonstrated compression, I think is a very fair price too :D

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
with all due respect, that's 30 hp for a starting point. and don't forget that 30 hp is more than 15% increase ... and i don't think the torque goes away with more compression. if somebody wants to make all of the power at the top end, they will go to a s38.

jamesw

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in Wiseguy - much appreciated. I have my heart set on a high compression motor as I have the 123Tune distributor (so I can make sure it doesn't knock or detonate) and big 45mm Webers.

Cheers
James