Wheel Fitment Question: Will 16x9.5 ET 38 fit?

ADDvanced

Reaction score
Found some cheap old school mesh locally, wondering if 9.5 will fit?

384097448_6732724553451615_7454013951809800559_n.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the bigger question is will the tire that fits on that wheel fit into the wheel well without rubbing. we know that they are NOT going to fit into the front wheel wells as they will rub on the fender lips and the front struts. on the e9, @vince runs a 9" x 17" wheel on the rear, but there is very little clearance. you will probably have to roll the rear fender lips to fit.

the rule of thumb is 7 x 16 fronts (et 11) and 8 x 16 rears (et 24). et 38 is going to be very difficult as its going to push the wheel further. there are ways to increase width, but they are not inexpensive. the first is coilovers to reduce the spring diameter ... the 2nd is fender flares. so what this means is that inexpensive wheels will be very expensive to fit. better off to spend a bit more money and get wheels that will fit. there are aftermarket Alpina style wheels from various sources that will fit with camber plates and rolled fender lips. i would recommend looking into the Coupeking Alpinas - look just like the real Alpinas and are well made ... and half the price of real ones. there are also wheels made by maxilite (i think) sold by places such as Ireland Engineering or other online sources

Last edited:

ADDvanced

Reaction score
the bigger question is will the tire that fits on that wheel fit into the wheel well without rubbing. we know that they are NOT going to fit into the front wheel wells as they will rub on the fender lips and the front struts. on the e9, @vince runs a 9" x 17" wheel on the rear, but there is very little clearance. you will probably have to roll the rear fender lips to fit.

the rule of thumb is 7 x 16 fronts (et 11) and 8 x 16 rears (et 24). et 38 is going to be very difficult as its going to push the wheel further. there are ways to increase width, but they are not inexpensive. the first is coilovers to reduce the spring diameter ... the 2nd is fender flares. so what this means is that inexpensive wheels will be very expensive to fit. better off to spend a bit more money and get wheels that will fit. there are aftermarket Alpina style wheels from various sources that will fit with camber plates and rolled fender lips. i would recommend looking into the Coupeking Alpinas - look just like the real Alpinas and are well made ... and half the price of real ones. there are also wheels made by maxilite (i think) sold by places such as Ireland Engineering or other online sources

Thanks! I am planning on slamming this thing so coilovers will definitely be part of this, since the car is sort of trash already I don't have any qualms about rolling the fenders either. Just not sure how much wider they are than the front fenders. I think I'll pick them up and store them until I can see how badly they don't fit :p

3moons

Site Donor
Reaction score
On my ‘74 Bavaria I have 16x8 ET23s with 225/50 tires and 5mm spacers. Up front there’s about 1/4” tire clearance to the strut tube. At the rear there’s more room, but I haven’t measured it. That’s with all stock suspension. I did the research about nine years ago and, from memory, that is the widest you can go with a 16”/50s wheel/tire at the front without contact.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
probably about 3/4" - most coilovers use 2.5" springs and i think stock springs are about 4". if you consider that the typical width is 7", you are trying to stick 1.25" more on each side. the 7" uses et11, the 8" uses et24, a 9" would use about et36 and a 9.5" would use about et40 to 42 to maintain the same center. IMHO this is going to be problematic on the fronts, and coilovers probably won't solve the problem. good luck finding a 16" tire that will fit the 9.5" wheel. looking at 17" wheels, the tire size that fits a 9.5" wheel is 245/40-17 and its a 24.5" diameter - with the correct diameter you are talking about 255/40-17.

take a look at the FAQ - wheels + tires - sizes / options. there is a link in my signature below. if you want an affordable bigger wheel - look at some of the 17" wheels like the style 5 (BBS RC 090), style 42 or the more affordable style 32. pic of the bbs RC 090 below. there are also some newer wheels that might float your boat.

Attachments

• rc090 - vince.jpg
    rc090 - vince.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 42

3moons

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anybody know how much clearance you gain switching to coilovers?
I don’t know what you might gain or lose(?) with coilovers. The coilover kits I’ve seen for E9/E3s use modified stock strut tubes. On the stock struts, the lower spring perch and hub/wheel/tire are in fixed positions relative to each other. There’s plenty of vertical clearance between them. So, unless you’re going to donk it, that’s not the issue with wider wheels and tires.

Forgive the rust and dust:
1699401982548.jpeg

1699402022204.jpeg

No measurements, but some great visuals of coilovers, etc. by @JamesE30:

Donk:
1699402233135.jpeg

Last edited:

ADDvanced

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, even more confused. Either way, seems like these would either be too wide, or stick out and require flares or something. Not desirable. I'll keep hunting.