What would you pay for a pair of high quality reproduction tail light frame/lens

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just got an email for the manufacturer telling me a shipment was on its way to me!
I do not know how long it will take nor how many sets were sent.
Thank you again for your patience and
HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Guys
I was shopping for repro tail lights for my Alfa 750 series spider, and asked an Alfa parts guy if his source of tail lights would consider doing a run of E9 frame/lenses. I sent him a bunch of pics and his source said they can do good repros of the frame/ lens or the whole thing. His tail lights for other brands of old cars is very good (good enough for a concours restoration). He would like to hear from us
(1) how much we'd be willing to pay per frame/lens assembly (not a pair)and
(2) how many sets we think he could sell in a year's time.

If you thing this is worth following up, please post your thoughts here.

John Feng
PS: this is all related to Stan's work on tail
Light repros
Hi John:
What do you think it would cost to rechrome a set of frames?
Koopman

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm sure there are chrome shops closer to you but it's called Dallas Plating in Dallas, GA.
Only chrome platter in the state.
They have done all my chrome bumpers, window moldings, wing window frames, etc.
They have done a good job and the only thing I had to ask them to do again was the section behind the license plate that goes across the car.
With all those ribs it had some bubbles in the finish.

There's a shop in Ohio called Paul's Chrome that supposed to be one of the best in the country.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Many ages ago I sent some '54 VW parts to a shop in LA to be rechromed. They had a large ad in Hemmings so I figured they were good.
They engraved the order number in the back of each part and put the plated metal on so thick that the key cylinders wouldn't fit into the door locks and the tail light bezels tabs were unable to be bent to put them back into the housings, not that they really fit anymore.
Ruined. Every. Part.
Make sure whomever you choose understands working with vintage, difficult to replace parts.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
$100 to redo a tail light frame (slightly pitted). Is a good deal. I'll bet it's double around here. Harry's getting a rear bumper redone but it's $1000. It's less complex than a tail light frame.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes, more complex than a bumper .... but a lot less material ... and the bumper has a lot of surface to complete without issue. also remember, there is chrome and there is show chrome ... and some degree of a range in between.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looked around in N.E. and ended up using D and D in Providence. They have been around a long time and I paid about 400 for my Bavaria front bumper in 2012. Very nice work, still looks great.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
A place I used for motorcycle wheels is

Classic Chrome Plating
Santa Ana, CA 92705
www.chromeplating.com

The wheels look very nice, I used them because Buchanan recommended them (Buchanan does a lot of wheels)

Can anyone recommend a good place for zinc plating in the Seattle area?