What kind of M6 you get for $16K Cdn

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
That car looks like a bargain. Likely less-expensive than the motor work alone. Plus a rebuild of the G280...many of the parts to do that are NLA. A good, functional box is worth $1500 all day long. Being an '87, it has plusses and minuses (big bumpers, but no airbag) and on a personal note, I don't like the color.

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, seems like a good deal

The e24 M6 - a classic design by Paul Braque - has been underappreciated (sound familiar e9 fans?) in the marketplace, but auction prices have been recently creeping upward. This looks well sorted and a good engine rebuild is worth about $10K. These are actually quite reliable cars, but the M specific parts are pricey and like the e9, body parts are also expensive.

$16K seems a very fair price and I would opt for the M6 over the regular e24 (which admittedly can be had for less than $10K). Compared with today's engines the S38 engine is a beauty to behold. The 88s are nicer however with well integrated bumpers.

No affiliation.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather go for a Euro M635CSi with the M88, but it is getting VERY hard to find a nice one of those. Haven't tried myself considering I don't fit in them well and find them very uncomfortable compared to an E28.

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
S38 / m8

S38 / M88... I've been thinking the E24 M cars look pretty interesting. Given price, performance, and collectability. However a respected forum pro cautioned me about the engines. Cautions include high cost of rebuilds (prob pretty well known), but also difficulty assessing health of an engine. A variety of failure modes come into play (going beyond timing component problems) and including shims jumping out and crank hub failures. Then, finally, difficulty in having confidence that a complex head rebuild is actually done correctly.

I'd be interested to hear some more discussions of such issues... How much risk is there of a $$$ failure for an engine that seems in good shape? Paul

Last edited:

E9erCS

Reaction score
Calling Mario...

S38 / M88... I've been thinking the E24 M cars look pretty interesting. Given price, performance, and collectability. However a respected forum pro cautioned me about the engines. Cautions include high cost of rebuilds (prob pretty well known), but also difficulty assessing health of an engine. A variety of failure modes come into play (going beyond timing component problems) and including shims jumping out and crank hub failures. Then, finally, difficulty in having confidence that a complex head rebuild is actually done correctly.

I'd be interested to hear some more discussions of such issues... How much risk is there of a $$$ failure for an engine that seems in good shape? Paul

Mario,

Given your experience with S30/M88 engines, how about weighing in?

--Steve