We get asked how to install compliance bushings…

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like the dog was feeling "strong" vibrations and decided to leave.

gwittman

Reaction score
When I did mine a long time ago, I recall making some kind of sleeve to pull it in place. I don't remember the details. That had to have been at least 40 years ago.

otter74

Reaction score
This prompts me to ask - where did you get those bushings? I can’t find the bushings for my E12 (seem like they ought to be the same as for E9s) in stock anywhere.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
From Athens, Greece on eBay a few minutes ago…
very expensive!

IMG_1781.png
IMG_1780.png

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I did this job and it was a bit of a PIA and I used BMW bushings. If I were to do this again I would go poly. Although poly can be harsh, I cannot see that having any major impact here. I did not price them but surmise they would be cheaper than OEM.

otter74

Reaction score
I did this job and it was a bit of a PIA and I used BMW bushings. If I were to do this again I would go poly. Although poly can be harsh, I cannot see that having any major impact here. I did not price them but surmise they would be cheaper than OEM.
All poly bushings, yes. I wouldn't do that on a car like an E3/E9/E12 unless the whole suspension was track-oriented. My 911 has monoballs and polybronze bushings that the PO installed when he overhauled the car, and while I find it perfectly fine for my uses (torsion bars are stock), impact harshness is obviously greater. But radius rod bushings alone are not going to have a meaningful impact on impact harshness on a car like this when control arm bushings, trailing arm bushings and strut/shock mounts are all rubber.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
That was my point, they are ok as thrust bushings but I do not use them anywhere else except maybe the subframe when the time comes.

otter74

Reaction score
Yes, agreed. i have OE bushings for the semi-trailing arms whenever I do them, and I'll probably just put IE inserts in the subframe bushings.