Very rare E9 cars (less than 1000 cars built)

CSL 1973

Reaction score
There are several E9 models which belongs to the group of the most rare BMW cars (in terms of number of cars built). Looking into BMW cars which were built in fewer than 1000 cars, the following E9 cars qualifies:

3.0 CSL LHD (765)
3.0 CSL RHD (500)

2000 C (443)
2800 CS Stainless steel version (3)
2800 CS USA version (641)
2800 CSA USA version (526)
3.0 CSiA (2)
3.0 CSi RHD (207)
3.0 CSiA RHD (215)
2.5 CS (600)
2.5 CSA (244)

Cheers

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
YIKES, 3 coupes with stainless bodies ??? I never heard that story before. That would likely be the end of coupe rust problems. Ford built 6 stainless bodies in 1936 but they put them on standard steel floors so they still had rust problems. I think the whereabouts of only 1 or 2 of those Fords is still known today, what about the 3 BMW coupes :confused: ? ~ John Buchtenkirch

merlin32

Reaction score
Yes 3 stainless, 1 in BMW Hand´s , one crashed , and one is missing... maybe somebody wonder why his coupe had no rust.. :)

CSL 1973

Reaction score
2800 CS stainless steel edition

If I remember correctly, the three BMW 2800 CS in Stainless steel were a result of the coperation between BMW and the company Thyssen. One car was crashed and by mistake completey knocked down. The second car was sold by the dealer Auto-Becker and without any further trace. The third car (with a mileage over 100 000 km), can be seen in a German museum (Münich?).

I think I have seen a picture there all three had an additional Talbot-mirror on the left wing.

Cheers

Orangener

Reaction score
The stainless coupes (Remanit-Coupes)

edelst1.jpg
edelst3.jpg

edelst2.jpg
edelst4.jpg

Please apologize, the following text is google-translated !

A E9 coupe with stainless steel body!

The dream of all who have been worked on a rust bucket!

In 1969, three E9 test units with stainless steel body were commissioned by BMW.
The bodies were (know that was probably a reason, insider known what I mean) built by Karmann in Rheine, in close cooperation with the German steel works (DEW), today Thyssen.

As a standardized material, stainless steel (with 18% chromium and about 9% nickel), named Remanit was used.
This material is renowned for the use in the automotive industry for molding, panels or bumpers.

The technique of three test units corresponded to that of the BMW 2800 CS. A relationship of the project of stainless steel body with the later-built BMW 3.0 CSL (hoods and doors, aluminum) did not exist.
Also absurd, who would ever think to build a lightweight coupe from heavy stainless steel!

Made of stainless steel were:

* Body
* Soil Group
* Wheel arches
* Spring supports
* Shock
* Cable clamps
* Interior door panels and hinges
* Window winder
* The entire exhaust system

Together with the stainless trim parts, such as moldings, panels, bumpers, horns, brackets and screws used for this purpose the 120 items were of a weight of 440 KG.

BMW wanted to demonstrate to the house with this project that you use stainless steel sheet (Remanit) can be applied using conventional tools and proven in conjunction with normal steel parts.

The three bodies were tested after final assembly in Munich on the bench.
The static and dynamic torsional tests, and a static bending test were the result of extremely positive. The compounds with the partially used normal body panel held the tests was.

The problem of surface cut was achieved. Appears finely brushed the surface in semi-gloss, thereby disturbing light reflections were avoided. The surface should not be susceptible to dirt than paint, which was shown in the five years of testing applications that ran without any complaints of the body.

The whereabouts of the three test vehicles with stainless steel body can only take very little time to find out.
A vehicle was damaged shortly after its completion in an accident so severe that further tests so could not be performed.
The plan to let this car during Art-Cars make a work of art could no longer be achieved by accident.
The accident vehicle ended in a blast furnace.
The second vehicle was delivered to about 125,000 kilometers of testing the German Museum, where it is currently being restored by BMW.
The third car was sold and the further fate is unknown.

The Company Thyssen had one of these vehicles on a mass, under the state's motto, "Thyssen and the Auto".​

The original german version of the text above you can find under the following link:

http://www.bmw-coupeclub.de/coupe.htm ----> Sondercoupes ----> Edelstahl Coupé

Here´s another link in english: http://www.bmw-coupeclub.de/Englisch/fzg_edelst_e.htm

Munze_2800_CS_Remanit_01.JPG
Munze_2800_CS_Remanit_02.JPG

Last edited:

gary bellamy

Reaction score
stainless steel coupes

Orangener, I want to say thanks for this enlightening info on Stainless
Coupes of which aware. :-D

GBel
73 chamonix

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I once saw a stainless steel Caddy and photos of a 1940 Ford Coupe. Any one know of any others? Photos?

dtortoise9

Reaction score
Caddy

Weren't the 57 or 58 El Dorados partially stainless. Mercedes did it best with alloy 300sl
gullwings and one fiberglass factory car- not rust ever...