Transmission Squealing

Bennett

Site Donor
Reaction score
The automatic transmission on my 73 Bavaria is making squealing noises when not under throttle, particularly when lifting off the gas to slow. Seems worse when AC is on. I checked the fluid level and topped it off and it doesn't seem to have any effect. This is for a Borg Warner.

Any ideas, other than doing a 5 speed conversion?

Thanks in advance.

lloyd

Reaction score
The automatic transmission on my 73 Bavaria is making squealing noises when not under throttle, particularly when lifting off the gas to slow. Seems worse when AC is on. I checked the fluid level and topped it off and it doesn't seem to have any effect. This is for a Borg Warner.

Any ideas, other than doing a 5 speed conversion?

Thanks in advance.
Auto trans noise is difficult to diagnose long distance. Torque converters can make noise as can the transmission internals, if fluid is contaminated, and not just low. Clutches do wear. You mention nothing about the color or smell of the fluid.

Not to be argumentative, but are you sure the noise is from the transmission? First impressions when I see the word "squealing" is a 1972 movie. Second impression causes me to think drive belts and potential problems with water pump, power steering, alternator and AC (which you suggest is somehow related). If a belt is loose or misaligned and an accessory is cycling on and off, this might have something to do with your noise.

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Make sure it is transmission related, auto transmissions are cheap, sfdon usually have them laying around

Bennett

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, the squealing has stopped. At least on the transmission. However the sound of the screeching tires of the 74 FJ40 (with winch) that rear ended the Bav will not be soon forgotten.

Back to the drawing board. Transferring all the parts from the crashed car into a newly painted shell. Waiting for insurance to figure out the value.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Damn. Sorry to hear about that.

I often comment under my breath when someone gets too close to the rear end of one of my BMWs that "Uhhh, I can stop a whole lot faster than you can. Back off."

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow, pretty car, hate to hear that. Especially since I used to own an FJ40. Love those things. Man.........keep us posted on parts etc. that you need to get her back in shape!!!!!!! Dang it!