Thoughts on a 1999 e36 M3 Coupe

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Car has high miles (200,000) but is in original condition and owned by an acquaintance. The reason I post my question here is to get a price range. Assuming it is in "good" condition can anyone venture a value range also any thoughts or experiences with this model-

As always, thanks!

Dohn

Reaction score
Peter,
Owned a '95 M3 for six years, both as a daily driver and on track at drivers' schools. A light, responsive, great-handling car with reasonable power (240HP). M cars are tighter and rougher than stock models, but still not harsh. Somewhat prone to rear shock tower failures when used hard; reinforcing kits are readily available. Interior trim had a tendency to delaminate, particularly on doors. Very reliable if regular maintenance was performed. You didn't mention color or equipment, but a standard 1999 M3 in good condition and 2should be in the $5-$7K range.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Dohn, going to look at it tomorrow, I feel that sub 10K cars, regardless of manufacturer, are usually priced 1-2K higher than actual value on craigslist-and the closer you get to 10K, the closer to 2K above market.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Always sell cars in Lake Wobegon's craigslist, where every car is priced 2k$ above average....

I like E36s, I am about to do a respray on a 318i and plan to get it to 350kmiles.

Thanks Dohn, going to look at it tomorrow, I feel that sub 10K cars, regardless of manufacturer, are usually priced 1-2K higher than actual value on craigslist-and the closer you get to 10K, the closer to 2K above market.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have had my 1997 E36 M3 for 16 years, best car I've ever owned. Mine has just over 95K miles and looks like it just left the showroom.

Things to watch out for are plastic impeller water pumps, steering rack failure and as mentioned rear shock mounts.

Dohn

Reaction score
If the car was well-maintained the water pump impeller should be long gone at 200K, but if not that's an important one. Never heard that about steering racks.

Peter, I agree about sub-$10K cars, especially German ones. But E36s are probably at their low ebb pricewise, and it won't be long before none of them are sub-$10K. E30 M3s used to be cheap, but no longer.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a 98 Cosmos Black E36 M3 Sedan with forged LTW rims.
At the time I bought it, it was my favorite car, period. I searched for a very low miles version, and ended up with a real beauty from Wisconsin that had 22,000 miles. Fantastic car, I drove it several years (put away winters) till it had about 85,000 miles. Dead reliable car. You do have to change the cooling systems pre emptively, but it was cheap and easy to do. Eventually it came time to sell it and I put a detailing job and taking good photographs on my to do list one morning. That same afternoon a stranger knocked on my door at the end of the day and asked if I was a guy who had a Black M3.... And if I might be willing to sell it?
A deal was struck within 5 minutes. Sold for $12000 four years ago.
Two weeks ago I was walking my dog in the local cemetery and passed a guy I thought I recognised. Turns out it was Geoff.... The guy who bought it. Said he was dreading running into me as he had destroyed the car at a Mosport track session three months after purchasing it.
The motor from the wreck has been transplanted into his old M3 and the shell has 300,000 km.
Anyway Peter, these cars are a lot of fun as daily drivers. Interior plastics are brittle and creak. And the engine is a little agrarian when driven to Red line. Very tossable though. Go for a low miles version if possible.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Bob,
The guy who owns the car works at an ind. BMW shop here in Austin, a good place and he used to work with a friend of mine at Munichauto, another ind. BMW/Mini facility. I have plans to view at 6:30 tonight. Unfortunately it has 220K on the clock but let's see what it looks like. Strangely enough I'm also picking up a highly modified and somewhat jacked-with e28 535is, 1988 but for 2K only and I have another of the same year as a parts car so I should be able to make 1 good one. My son needs a car and I think this is a great way to "pass the torch" ..of course we will have to see what happens; I think my daughter may be more interested in the e28. Life takes strange twists :)

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
My brother had a e28 535is, and he says it is the only car he used to own that he regrets selling.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I owned an e36 M3 coupe and sedan in the past. Sold the coupe when we had our first child. Sold the sedan when we moved to Florida and needed money to buy a house. Wish I still had the sedan. Tracked both of them in DEs. Had a blast. And DD them. Yes, plastic radiator, water pumps were an issue. Shocks, their mounts, power steering hose, a few other items. But both wonderful cars. I would say $7k for a very good 200k mile car is about right.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pulled the proverbial trigger-

Attachments

• m3.JPG
    m3.JPG
    835.6 KB · Views: 141
  • m3-1.JPG
    m3-1.JPG
    767.7 KB · Views: 134
  • m3-2.JPG
    m3-2.JPG
    666.3 KB · Views: 140

Dohn

Reaction score
Wow, if there's such a thing as an easy 220,000 miles, this car had them! Even the Vaders look pretty good! Enjoy...

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Scott and Dohn, I'm kind of test driving it today and I really like it. Price was 7500.00 but it has every service record and it's kind of a one owner car since my friend purchased it about a month ago from the original owner and realized it was going to get trashed in his neighborhood. He has a Z4M and a couple other BMW's but his carport only accepts 2 cars and he feels it will get abused if he leaves it at the end of his driveway. I will have to replace the windshield because it's cracked and it needs new tires but that's really all that I can find wrong with it... so far. Girls from the office will be doing a visual inspection soon- they find everything! It's crazy, they can tell who the last passenger in the car was by the perfume, what color their hair was (trace evidence). and Heaven forbid there is a scratch on the paint!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice Peter. When I had my M3 I found that it drove best running a non staggered setup. I went through 4 sets of tires on it and by far the best setup was with Michelin PS2 235 40 17 front and rear.
I have Continental extreme on my e46 with sport package and these are quite inferior to my previous Michelins. Steering response does not suit the e36 M3 in my opinion.
I also found that Koni adjustables were the perfect Strut shock combo for these cars if you need any.
The single best mod you can do is to get some German Bosch or Zkw headlights on eBay Germany.
Search under e36 scheinwerfer.
Have fun getting àcquainted with the new car.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Bob, that's great information. The car is running Michelin staggered PS now but they are not up to snuff so that's my first stop. Regarding the struts and shocks, I was thinking of going new stock, what's your opinion on that idea?

I will take your advice for sure on the headlights as I do allot of night driving. I have to treat and re-dye the drivers seat; there are no cracks but if I don't take care there will be...

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you don't know how old the Rear trailing arm bushings are, as well as the front lower control arm bushings, they should be renewed to get that M feeling back. I replaced my stock shocks with about 26K on them with the Konis and the ride was as good or better, but the control went up. I loved these shocks. Other than expense, no downside. The Bilstein ride too firm from what I have heard on the E36. I had my adjustables set about in the middle. New stock is probably very good as well. Also, you should get an upgraded rear shock mount if yours are of unknown age. Rogue engineering makes one that is the best design as I recall. Many people add the lower sub frame brace to the front that came standard on the convertibles claiming it tightens the front end. Not a very expensive part.
I have an intake manifold from the 3.0 M3. I was planning on adding it to mine but never got around to it. Supposedly improves the cars redline manners.
I think you might need a wiring adapter if going with the Euro headlights. Probably available from sellers on line, but beware of cheap Asian Euro lights. Not built like the OE ones. I got my original Bosch ones very cheap on Ebay.De, as they are just old parts over there.

chicane

Reaction score
Car has high miles (200,000) but is in original condition and owned by an acquaintance. The reason I post my question here is to get a price range. Assuming it is in "good" condition can anyone venture a value range also any thoughts or experiences with this model-

As always, thanks!

For that many miles, on an M3 I wouldn't go above $5K and would certainly offer less. They are great cars, I just sold mine, but they have tons of small things that go wrong at even 70-80K that you be certain that you will have work to do on a 200K car even if properly maintained.....

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bought the ZKW headlights then learned they wouldn't fit with the Dinan cold air intake. Best thing I did aside from maintaining it within an inch of its life were the auxiliary gauges for oil temp, Oil pressure and voltmeter.

Aux Gauges 04.JPG
Dinan Engine.jpg
side view 01.jpg

Last edited: