Steering rod ball joint question

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My steering wheel is off a few degrees when driving straight and I can't stand it any longer. I bought the OTC 7315A ball joint separator that SFDon recommended in order to separate the steering arms so I can unscew one steering rod end and screw in the other a corresponding amount to straighten the wheel.

My question is once I pop the ball joint apart, can it be reused/bolted back on or is it a one shot deal and they need replacement with new ones? I have no experience here with these.

Thanks.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
You don't need to separate the balljoints, just loosen the sleeve collars and adjust the length of the unit.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How do I adjust the sleeve collars, aren't they threaded and therefore need to be disconnected in order to twist them?

You don't need to separate the balljoints, just loosen the sleeve collars and adjust the length of the unit.

KHB

Site Donor
Reaction score
As Mike mentioned, just loosen the 2 collar clamp bolts. Then you can turn the collar by hand if the threads are clean. The ball joint end and center section end are both threaded (like a turn buckle) so you don't have to remove anything.

Like you I couldn't stand it anymore and had to correct it. I did jack up both front wheels.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Brilliant. So they are they threaded in opposite directions and this is how alignment shops make adjustments?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes. Has your car had an alignment recently? If not, you may want to have one done after you make the adjustment. Or, turn each side exactly the same number of degrees.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Simplify...you can take care or this all with the alignment. Steering center is dictated by tie rod end adjustment. The guy doing you adjustment, if they care, can center the steering wheel. Problem is most just adjust and ignore steering wheel center. Too much time.

Do it yourself. adjust tie rods equally a quarter / half /full (whatever) turn at a time and voila!...centered wheel.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steering wheel adjusted

Why did I wait 4 years to do this? My wheel was aligned like this:
IMG_1017.JPG

I bought a small laser pointer which I rested on the brake rotor:
IMG_1026.JPG

Enough to take a decent measurement against the garage door which I marked:
IMG_1029.JPG

Then I marked the adjusting turnbuckles with a marks-a-lot:
IMG_1028.JPG

Then I turned the wheel straight which caused the rotor to turn about an inch away from the previous laser spot on the door. I adjusted the turnbuckle until the laser came back to the original spot which was exactly one turn. I repeated for the other side and voila, peace at last.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve,

out of curiousity, couldn't you have moved the steering wheel one tooth to the right? or did that go too far the other way.