Stahl install

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Has anyone run into an issue installing the Stahl headers from the group by? My mechanic said one tube was bumping up against the block and needed to be modified. I thought he said bell housing but I don't think that makes any sense. I will try and get pictures.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone run into an issue installing the Stahl headers from the group by? My mechanic said one tube was bumping up against the block and needed to be modified. I thought he said bell housing but I don't think that makes any sense. I will try and get pictures.

Yes.
On mine, it's hitting the transmission carrier (5sp)--passenger side. I was using the original e9 carrier, but I just switched to an e24 carrier which is supposed be thinner at the point where it is contacting the header. I have my doubts it will be enough to matter.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Photos of where mine are hitting

Right here, on the transmission carrier:
IMG_2804.jpgIMG_2807.jpg

Last edited:

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, that didnt work.

The e24 carrier is clearly a superior design, much stronger and a bit thinner. However the Stahl headers still wont clear. I put the OEM pipes back on.

Not sure what to do next with these....

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Can't tell how close it is to fitting but if close part of the brace holding the transmission could be ground down or have a welder box the end right next to the nut. That would keep it strong.
Gary

jamesw

Reaction score
Header performance is not degraded at all (or almost at all) by dimpling the header pipe to provide clearance past the trans support.

HTH
James

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's too close for grinding the brace or dimpling the header to be a good option. What's strange is that Ben over at LJI says their Stahl headers just bolt right in with no problem. It doesnt seem likely that my headers would be different so Im wondering if my motor isnt sitting correctly in the car.

tmason

Reaction score
It looks like your close to Ben.Maybe take your's over there to compare the bend?