Separating Throttle ball links

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello, I know some of these links have little clips, but for those that don't, is it ok to pry these apart, or does that ruin them?
Thanks

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmmn, the one in this photo did not want to come part using prying. Had to stop and repair a small bend to this lever. Some of my other ball links did come apart with prying. Wondering is there is a specific tool for snapping these apart?

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I managed to pry all of mine apart using a small tool with a curved split end that looks like a miniature version of the claw on a claw hammer.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I managed to pry all of mine apart using a small tool with a curved split end that looks like a miniature version of the claw on a claw hammer.
Did you make this tool? Removed my triple 45's last night getting ready for a rebuild. Couldn't believe how little access there was to remove the carb bolt closest to the firewall. Luckilly the bolts were on the loose side, as are all the bolts on my coupe. Barely tightened, like the last person who worked on it was test fitting everything.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Another tip, it you haven't done this, is to loosen the nuts on the threaded rods and rotate the ball cup into different positions as you try to pry them free.

61porsche

Reaction score
A small open end wrench, Spray the ball with penetrating fluid first. They all have clips, internal to the socket. It is suggested that you check them all and regrease them. Good time to check the measurements for lost motion. There's a diagram with measurements in the repair manuals.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I use the biggest screwdriver i have and pry from the topside to open about halfway then get between the shaft and lever to pop it the remainder of the way

restart

Reaction score
IMG_5433.JPG
I use the biggest screwdriver i have and pry from the topside to open about halfway then get between the shaft and lever to pop it the remainder of the way
:p Yup me too. :)

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Pffft !....LHD Girly Men . Removing is the easy bit ....try putting it back on adjacent to inside of wheel arch on RHD car with almost "zero " clearance ..and fresh paint !

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am going to try and make a tool using two sliding wedges with a cutout the size of the ball for the fun of it. Will try next week.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score

We have these at work that are useful for various electrical connectors (were). http://www.slotcarcorner.com/Wera-Motor-Removal-Tool-p1124.html

But it's probably too small. The other poster is correct that rotation orientation is important and a thin type open end wrench can work well.