semi auto pilot

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The article mis-speaks about the situation... they said the car needed to "merge" into another lane. That's not the case here. There is construction and both lanes shifted... The yellow stripe on the road went directly into the barrier... I don't know how the Tesla system works, but if it were "reading" the lane stripes, the system never knew the barrier was there until it was into it. Driver's fault and Tesla will end up killing someone with this system before it's over. (my opinion :) )

I hope I never have to rely on any car to drive me anywhere.

Ed

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This whole Autopilot adventure is fascinating on many different levels.

First it is a technological tour de force which, everything considered, works incredibly well. When all (or most) of the development will be done, it will unquestionably be a tremendous safety advance.

But there is no way we are going to get there without large scale testing. And this is what Tesla and several others are making available to those who want to try it. They are not forcing anyone to actually use it. They are saying "This technology is available on our car, but the driver should still remain in control at all times. Use it at your own risk but you are most welcome to not use it if you are uncomfortable with it." Therefore I cannot understand why anyone would blame Tesla or company Y or Z for anything that happens while they have chosen to use a technology that has some inherent risks.

It is another sad result of our lack of sense of personal responsibility and the proliferation of ambulance chasing lawyers.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
By the way Ed, the Tesla has already killed one 'passenger at the wheel'. The car's systems couldn't make out the white semi-trailer 18 wheeler that was making a left turn across the lane it was driving in and ran into/under the trailer at full speed.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
By the way Ed, the Tesla has already killed one 'passenger at the wheel'. The car's systems couldn't make out the white semi-trailer 18 wheeler that was making a left turn across the lane it was driving in and ran into/under the trailer at full speed.

I'm not sure the Tesla killed anybody.... The driver (more than one actually) abandoned his responsibility by ignoring the manufacturers recommendation to keep hands on the wheel and monitor the road and the car at all times, resulting in a fatal crash.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
This whole Autopilot adventure is fascinating on many different levels.

First it is a technological tour de force which, everything considered, works incredibly well. When all (or most) of the development will be done, it will unquestionably be a tremendous safety advance.

But there is no way we are going to get there without large scale testing. And this is what Tesla and several others are making available to those who want to try it. They are not forcing anyone to actually use it. They are saying "This technology is available on our car, but the driver should still remain in control at all times. Use it at your own risk but you are most welcome to not use it if you are uncomfortable with it." Therefore I cannot understand why anyone would blame Tesla or company Y or Z for anything that happens while they have chosen to use a technology that has some inherent risks.

It is another sad result of our lack of sense of personal responsibility and the proliferation of ambulance chasing lawyers.

I have two major concerns about the advent of these technologies. First, we who occupy the same roads are part of the testing of these technologies, whether or not we agree. But even more importantly, once these technologies reach a critical mass, cars with Autopilot will control the flow of traffic for everyone. The rest of us then won't be driving, we will instead get in the conga line and follow.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have two major concerns about the advent of these technologies. First, we who occupy the same roads are part of the testing of these technologies, whether or not we agree.
Good point Chris. Although most of the crashes that have so far happened involved the car running into an object, like a road obstructions or under a truck trailer . Doesn't mean that an innocent person couldn't get hurt but that is where most of the development efforts have taken place so as to minimize the risk to the smallest level possible. The risk of anyone getting hurt by an idiot checking his cell phone while driving is far greater than getting hurt by a car on autopilot.

But even more importantly, once these technologies reach a critical mass, cars with Autopilot will control the flow of traffic for everyone. The rest of us then won't be driving, we will instead get in the conga line and follow.
A valid concern to be sure. But, as explained in a recent conference on the future of mobility at the ArtCenter College of Design, more and more, being in a car will be separated in two categories: Commuting and driving. Going to work is commuting. I certainly don't get any satisfaction being in my car for that. It already is the conga line. As a matter of fact, if I could I would much rather take public transportation.
Then there is driving for the pleasure of it. Few people actually enjoy this as most people on this forum would. And you would not want to go on the freeways for that anyway. It will always be on the less traveled back roads. Much like it is today.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well put. This is probably where we are going. Just as horse enthusiasts have to find places no longer populated by cars, those of us who want to drive will have to seek out places away from the autonomous "pods."

And as to your comment on commuting, I did an article on this several years ago that Satch published in the BMW CCA magazine -- "I don't know what you call that, but it ain't drivin".

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"I'm not sure the Tesla killed anybody.... The driver (more than one actually) abandoned his responsibility by ignoring the manufacturers recommendation to keep hands on the wheel and monitor the road and the car at all times, resulting in a fatal crash"

Bo,

You are absolutely correct.

I should have stated: A 'passenger' who was occupying the driver's position, but not driving was killed in a crash when the 'automatic vision aspect' of the Tesla failed to recognize the difference between clear sky and a white semi-trailer truck that was making a turn across the lane in which the Tesla was driving.

Gary

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And as to your comment on commuting, I did an article on this several years ago that Satch published in the BMW CCA magazine -- "I don't know what you call that, but it ain't drivin".

I'd love to read it. Do you remember the month and year by any chance?

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well put. This is probably where we are going. Just as horse enthusiasts have to find places no longer populated by cars, those of us who want to drive will have to seek out places away from the autonomous "pods."
I think it is nearly at that point with motorcycles! I am nervous riding I bicycle on the road for fear of some bozo texting...