s38 and 265

mark

Reaction score
Gents,

I bought a 3.0 cs over christmas with a view to changing out the 3.0 and AT with a 3.5l and 265. I've bought a 3.5l M30B35 and a 265 (and most of the ancillaries), both of which are currently being shipped. In the meantime though, i've found a well priced s38 and 5 speed. The s38 was my original plan but all of the related issues (flex primarily) and i talked myslef into the B35. but now i am thinking again about the s38.

does anyone know will the 265 (i) bolt up to the s38 (i'm assuming m30, so yes?) and (ii) are there any issues with the 265 given the increase in hp?

related, i've seen posts where the non-cable drive speedo from the 5 speed can be made to work, but it is not worth it/easier to do the 265 etc. I cannot find anything though setting out just how hard it is. So I am wondering, is it easier to do the speedo coversion on the later 5 speed (and keep the assembled s38 + 5 speed than try to mate up the s38 with the 265.

any thoughts appreciated.

thanks.
mark

x_atlas0

Reaction score
The S38 was mated to the Getrag 280, which never had, and does not support, a mechanical speedo drive. It is a good thing for coupe owners, then, that the 265 will bolt up just fine with the S38. Moreover, the 265 is significantly stronger than the 280, based on the failure reports from various tuning houses and transmission repair shops.

So, yeah, the 265 will work with a S38 splendidly.

mark

Reaction score
m5 s38 - other m5 parts

thanks x.

i have now nearly done the deal to buy the s38b38 referred to in original post, less the 5 speed and including wiring loom and s38.

the vendor is breaking the entire car and has offered that i may pick over it before we finally land on the engine price. does anyone have any suggestions what else, if anything, i should grab?

thanks
mark

M5dCS

Reaction score
speedo pulse

you are going to need a chopper wheel and the electronic pickup from any differential from about 83 onwards as the S38 b36 and b38 require an electronic impulse from the diff in order to keep it from going into the limp home mode and not revving above 6000rpm. Mount the chopper wheel in between the diff output flange and the stub axle and build a bracket for the sensor and you're good to go. good luck, Leroy

M5dCS

Reaction score
radiator

grab the radiator, fill tanks,and anything else that looks like it would be useful, if you don't end up using them, you can always get rid of them, but you'll have them for your build