Roundel Schmoundel

seh1

Site Donor
Reaction score
A while back I posted about fitment issues in some of the new roundel/base combinations available today. Member Markos in Seattle had recently posted an excellent thread on the issue, and it is clear that there are various "new" offerings around, none of which are very correct. dascoupeguy had some excellent pictures, and Markos followed up with some incredibly detailed pictures. Thank you both.

And thanks to Sooner for suggesting that for the ill-fitting pieces, heating one and cooling the other should make them work. I've used that trick many times wrenching on this and that, but in this case I'm working on a 73CSL and things have to be correct ;)

I've probably had 500+ transactions on eBay, PayPal, Craigslist, and most importantly on the various BMW, Mercedes and Porsche forums, which are far and away the best. It's incredible what a resource it is to be able to connect buyers and sellers the way we can today. I've never had a complaint on any transaction other than perhaps one today here on the e9 forum, and I'm hoping the gentleman comes around. I've bought several items from members here and been very happy: perfect autoflug race belts (thanks Paul); Bela is working on a spare set of wood for me, 2nd set of struts for project, and Peter offered me a headlight grille for nothing which cleaned up to near new (thx)

In the roundel saga, I posted that I was looking for "an OEM old combo of roundel and base in good to excellent or NOS condition." A member on the forum pm'ed me "I have all three". It is a prominent member and I had no qualms whatsoever in accepting. I got some pics showing that the parts fit together, and didn't think much of it. I paid $250 which I didn't think was outrageous for correct old parts.

Today I received a correct gasket, a correct base, and an 82mm roundel thats correct for, amongst other things, a BMW 320i. The part is readily available in the US for $20. So much for "I have all three."

I emailed saying "I think you sent me the wrong part" but to my surprise he came back with nope, not a mistake, he had sent pics and I should have seen it was wrong, as well as "you never mentioned a part number in your request."

So there it is. If you request "an OEM old combo" of parts in "good to excellent or NOS condition" but you fail to specify the part number, then so long as a picture has been sent, people are free to send you any parts from so long as they look correct in a picture :)

I've raced cars and motorcycles for years, and I've restored anything on wheels for many more. I've made a lot of friendships. And more than anything I appreciate having bought parts from all over the world in an unbelievable run of flawless transactions. I hope that run does not end here on the e9 forum with one of your prominent members.

I don't care which way this ends - the amount is trivial. It would be nice to see this corrected, but it will be forgotten tomorrow regardless. I was told early that If I lend someone 20 bux and I never see them again, it was worth every penny. I approached life and business that way, and never looked back. If someone wants to use a technicality as an excuse to send me worthless items when I am very clearly looking for the real deal, then so be it. Enjoy the $; didn't expect it to be you.

Meanwhile if anyone out there has a correct old combination of the three rear roundel parts that would be most welcome. My CSL has the rear spoiler but I would like to run it without it for a while, and of course there was no roundel or letters underneath.

Thank you all,

Sean

needing very little work
IMG_7924.jpeg

newer timeless roadster
IMG_4030.jpeg

hobby
DSC01241.jpeg

oil back.jpeg

tap and die.jpeg

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lovely cars, all beautifully photographed. Hope you get what you are looking for.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hope the 'Real Deal' shows up for you, it would be best all around if the seller fulfills his/her obligations.

Beautiful cars. To my eye, the e9 and the Z8 are two of the three best looking BMW designs ever. The third on my list is the e31. I''ll never be able to afford the Z8, but hope to enjoy the e9 and e31 for a long time (but, at my age, I don't buy green bananas, so I never know how LONG that will be!!).

Garyy

Last edited:

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great photos, nice shiny bits; I can see that you appreciate line, form, and subtlety. And yes, a really good group of folks here. I am always humbled at the kindness of strangers, bound by a common thread. Good luck, we'll keep our eyes peeled.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Sean,

Cool toys! Sorry about the mixup you experienced! I think I remember posting some rounded pics months ago. Let me know if you need any measurements or part numbers. I look for parts frequently so i can keep my eye out for some nice looking roundels.

Since they are aluminum you can polish and repaint an old raised roundel.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since this is a difficult combo to get right it might be wise to go directly to La Jolla Independent or CoupeKing. At least you'll know you're getting the right parts.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
seller - hope you are talking to the buyer and trying to help sort this out ... and even more hopes you are stepping up to do the right thing.
and to both of you ... it takes two to talk to resolve things ... work together. i am also thankful to both for not resorting to personal attacks on the forum ... as tempting as it might be to get rid of frustration or to use more pressure to get resolution.

Last edited:

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Seh1,

Your CSL is beautiful.

Re the roundel why don't you just buy one from BMW parts office at a dealership. They are still for sale. I recently purchased a E9 curved boot roundel and new csl badge. Very easy to purchase and BMW are 100% trustworthy. Sure not 45 years old but mint and frankly I find the origional ones look a bit shitty these days - eg they don't have the nice clear coat a new BMW roundel does. I also changed my side pillar roundels (BMW still sell E9 pillar roundels) although am safekeeping the old ones which are still in good nick.

(I also just put my origional alloy boot on and took off the large spoiler)

back3.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Seh1,

Your CSL is beautiful.

Re the roundel why don't you just buy one from BMW parts office at a dealership. They are still for sale. I recently purchased a E9 curved boot roundel and new csl badge. Very easy to purchase and BMW are 100% trustworthy. Sure not 45 years old but mint and frankly I find the origional ones look a bit shitty these days - eg they don't have the nice clear coat a new BMW roundel does. I also changed my side pillar roundels (BMW still sell E9 pillar roundels) although am safekeeping the old ones which are still in good nick.

(I also just put my origional alloy boot on and took off the large spoiler)

View attachment 24930

My car is not a CSL, but the trunk replacement roundel that BMW sold to me is not the same part as originally appeared on my car. It is a pretty good facsimile of the original, but it is not the same part.