Restoring / wrapping Petri steering wheels

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a 380mm and 400mm Petri wheel that both needed to be restored. The metal spokes were blistering, the foam was pitted, and one was a little bent. I initially wanted to have the spokes re-nickel plated leaving the foam in place. My local shop would not do it that way. They said that the chemicals would get under/into the foam and continue to leach out. So off came the foam. Unfortunately, when you do this the wheel needs to be wrapped in leather to cover the glue seam. There might be a be way to paint the foam to hide this, but I wanted the leather wrap anyhow as I find the foam by itself makes for too thin a grip.

The wheels as they came. This one is the 380.
Orig380Petri.jpg

OrigSpokeCloseUp1.jpg
OrigSpokeCloseUp2.jpg

The foam coming off. This involves carefully cutting a slit along the inside radius of the wheel, then carefully prying off the foam.

FoamCut1.jpg
FoamCut2.jpg
FoamSeparated.jpg

The 400 foam came off fairly easily. The 380 was stubborn and I tore it in a couple of places.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The wheels back from the plating shop.

NickelFinish1.jpg
NickelFinish2.jpg
NickelFinish3.jpg

Then glueing the foam back on. I used the Gorilla glue. This involves wetting the surfaces as the glue reacts with the water and expands. I also used this glue to fill in any holes in the base foam, then sanded. I initially tried using tape to hold the foam in place while the glued dried. Not even close to being strong enough to keep the gap closed. I used some stainless steel wire I had and tightly wrapped the entire wheel.

FoamWire.jpg
FoamOnWheels.jpg
FoamOnCloseUp.jpg

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Lastly I restored the one horn button I have. I took it apart and painted the back side with blue, white and black model train paint. Patched and painted the outer ring and put it back together. Almost like new. Getting it apart required carefully prying back two of the aluminum tabs.

HornButtonOrig.jpg
HornButtonPaint.jpg
HornButtonParts.jpg

climbernyc

Reaction score
Nice work! Question: how do you clean the spokes of an original wheel without damaging. What would you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice work! Question: how do you clean the spokes of an original wheel without damaging. What would you use?

I use WD-40 and 0000 (super fine) steel wool. I just removed the overspray from my spare tail lights that way. It is one of those Ford vs Chevy internet topics however. Many people will say to never use it. Others have "been doing it for 40 years". People say to use bronze wool. I can't ever find super fine bronze wool. I wouldn't use steel wool on new chrome, or large objects, but it works well on small stuff. Steel wool does leave little particles that can embed in paint (or chrome) and rust, which is one reason why bronze wool is recommended. Otherwise go to your local Harly shop to pick something up. Just keep in mind that it is probably meant for polishing nice new factory or custom chrome, not cleaning dingy pitted 40yo chrome.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I almost forgot the most important picture. The 380 installed. I first had the 400 mounted to try it out. I felt it was maybe a bit too large - but I would certainly be able to live with it. Leaning ever so slightly to the 380 for now (which is already larger than the Nardi I have been using all these years). My wife's comment when she asked me about all the wheels laying about - "I think the wood one looks much better". I think she is right, but the Petri feels better for driving.

Installed.jpg

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score

What are you trying to clean off?

climbernyc

Reaction score
Just the grime and yellowing on a old personal brushed metal wheel

307a2284f2a38b2b428c7aa7836e4eab.jpg

Last edited:

climbernyc

Reaction score
Yes have to find a mild cleaner that won't cloud the assumed anodizing

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score

Use a metal polish with NO abrasive what so ever, ie something they would use to clean grime off silver jewelry.

I made the mistake of using Autosol once on a spoked steering wheel. Normally Autosol is the best metal polish for anything/everything and I have never had a problem before. But on the soft metal of steering wheel spokes (aluminium), the Autosol left swirl marks. I was devastated. Although I contacted Autosol and they were actually very helpful and helped me to get most of them out with a different Aluminium polish. It is 75% okay now, but I wish I never made the mistake in first place. (Luckily it was only a Nardi wheel from another car and not my origional Petri on my CSL)

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I almost forgot the most important picture. The 380 installed. I first had the 400 mounted to try it out. I felt it was maybe a bit too large - but I would certainly be able to live with it. Leaning ever so slightly to the 380 for now (which is already larger than the Nardi I have been using all these years). My wife's comment when she asked me about all the wheels laying about - "I think the wood one looks much better". I think she is right, but the Petri feels better for driving.

View attachment 26885
The looks sooo good!! The interior on my '02 looks like the mini version of your coupe's.
2002.9.JPG

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
I use WD-40 and 0000 (super fine) steel wool. I just removed the overspray from my spare tail lights that way. It is one of those Ford vs Chevy internet topics however. Many people will say to never use it. Others have "been doing it for 40 years". People say to use bronze wool. I can't ever find super fine bronze wool. I wouldn't use steel wool on new chrome, or large objects, but it works well on small stuff. Steel wool does leave little particles that can embed in paint (or chrome) and rust, which is one reason why bronze wool is recommended. Otherwise go to your local Harly shop to pick something up. Just keep in mind that it is probably meant for polishing nice new factory or custom chrome, not cleaning dingy pitted 40yo chrome.

Hey Markos, did you use this approach on a Petri wheel? Does it not remove the matt finish of the spokes?

Can anyone tell me what metal the petri 38 spokes are made out of? And what finish is used - @Sven mentioned nickel plating?

Basically what I want to do is to just improve a used Petri wheel without going too mad and without making it worse? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Michael.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Markos, did you use this approach on a Petri wheel? Does it not remove the matt finish of the spokes?

Can anyone tell me what metal the petri 38 spokes are made out of? And what finish is used - @Sven mentioned nickel plating?

Basically what I want to do is to just improve a used Petri wheel without going too mad and without making it worse? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Michael.

I have used this on chrome many times. I have done it on a Petri. A petri finish is just “hard chrome”, like you would find on a handgun.