Removing the starter

Simufly

Reaction score
Sure its been done befroe but cant seem to find a link.
Anyway what the best way to get the top bolt out?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
assuming you have the original size starter, i ground down a wrench for better access but it is little turns at a time for a back breaking eternity. a modern starter will allow a socket to get to it. bluecoupe's idea is a good one.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
once you get it out, follow SFDon's advice and put an AL444x in its place (from an 8 series), smaller, lighter, more efficient, much less expensive

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have no direct personal experience, but SFDon has stated that you can use the 441x or the 444x. i know that when he puts the euro b34 in my coupe this summer he will be swapping the starter as well. do a search for starters posted by sfdon and you should get your info.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pulled mine out just yesterday to prep my block for a repaint. Fortunately the bolts were not in tight. By chance I had a Heyco box end on hand. It was the only wrench I had that would fit the lower bolt. The Upper was removed with a 17 mm open end wrench. I had to remove my Carbs and heater hoses before I could get access. Will be putting the old starter back in, as it appears to be recently rebuilt with a Bosch label. Such a poor design from a servicing point of view. If they had offset things just a bit, you could get it out with a socket and extension.

02coastie

Site Donor
Reaction score
While I'm sure an official Bosch starter has a certain cachet, I can personally vouch for the DB Electrical rebuilt units on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STARTER...735-L6-M5-INBOARD-ENG-B630-B635-/140740542494

I bought two. One for the CS and one for my 2002. Both spin the motors up lightening fast and are much smaller than the original, providing easy access to the mounting bolts. On the plus side it looks like they ship worldwide!

bdigel

Reaction score
i have no direct personal experience, but SFDon has stated that you can use the 441x or the 444x. i know that when he puts the euro b34 in my coupe this summer he will be swapping the starter as well. do a search for starters posted by sfdon and you should get your info.

I suspect you ment to say e32 7series or e34 5 series , those have the m30 b35 which came with the starter you mention I have used that starter on all my "vintage " 6 cyl . stuff

bdigel

Reaction score
also replace the bolt with a stud

not sure where I came upon this , but there are 10 mm bolts that have a 15 mm head that make access much easier , I think that whats holds the starters on the last M30's on

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
RealOEM indicates starter for the E9 also applies to E24 up to 87. I put the 441 into my 86 635 and fit perfectly so by default, it should fit the E9. Smaller and easier to replace. I bet you can get your hands on one somewhere.

I did this on my E3 while rebuilding the carbs so it was easier with the rear carb out of the way.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
To access the lower bolt I used this "obstruction" wrench. Simply cannot access or make any progress without it. I needed this to help me replace starter without removing any carbs or hoses. Worked like a charm!
SAM_3039.JPG

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
"the rest of the story".... who was that...I think it was Paul Harvey. Anyway, my claim about removing starter with carbs and hoses intact, was only possible, in my case, because I removed solenoid first, then added it last as new unit was safely underneath back carb. Solenoid added, then starter bolted up, utilizing obstruction wrench, plus 17 mm tool kit, box end Heyco. What a time saver!