rear light difference

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cleaning up bits to put my car back together and noticed one of the red rear lenses is bulbous where the reflector is in the middle. I haven't seen on like that before, any ideas?

Rohan

jmackro

Reaction score
stock tail light bulb replaced with one that created more heat than the OEM and caused it to deform?

That would be my guess. How symmetrical is the bulge? I.e., does it look "factory made"?

The Hella part number visible in the photo (SRBBL48ZR) matches the # on my own coupe's lens. And mine doesn't have a bulge. If there was a part with a different shape, it would probably have its own part number.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
That s what I was thinking but it is very uniform. I guess it would be though I didn't think it would rise and not crack!? I only thought it strange as I was going to swap the lens and the numbers are different on that one although the 'bubble' one and it's sister lens are identical in part numbers.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Many years ago I had to replace my left and right front grilles because the heat generated from the back housing on my fog lights deformed the horizontal slats.